Structural Reforms and Fiscal Discipline in Europe
The global slowdown has tested the effectiveness of the European institutional frameworks in supporting both stability and growth which led to a number of proposals for reform regarding the institutional design of the European Union and on the relationship between the goal of fiscal discipline and the plan of structural reforms. This paper aims at collecting and summarising recent contributions on the effectiveness of the institutional framework operating in Europe to fulfil the objectives declared in the Lisbon Agenda under the fiscal constraints established in the Stability and Growth Pact.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.istat.it/en/Email:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marco Buti & Sylvester Eijffinger & Daniele Franco, 2003.
"Revisiting the Stability and Growth Pact: grand design or internal adjustment?,"
European Economy - Economic Papers
180, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Buti, Marco & Eijffinger, Sylvester C W & Franco, Daniele, 2003. "Revisiting the Stability and Growth Pact: Grand Design or Internal Adjustment?," CEPR Discussion Papers 3692, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sapir, Andre & Aghion, Philippe & Bertola, Giuseppe & Hellwig, Martin & Pisani-Ferry, Jean & Rosati, Dariusz & Vinals, Jose & Wallace, Helen, 2004.
"An Agenda for a Growing Europe: The Sapir Report,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780199271498, March.
- André Sapir & Philippe Aghion & Giuseppe Bertola & Martin Hellwig & Jean Pisani-Ferry & Bernard Lange & José Viñals & Helen Wallace & Marco Buti & Mario Nava & Peter Smith, 2004. "An agenda for a growing Europe: the Sapir report," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/8070, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-176184 is not listed on IDEAS
- Wyplosz, Charles, 2002. "Fiscal Policy: Institutions versus Rules," CEPR Discussion Papers 3238, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Roel M. W. J. Beetsma & Xavier Debrun, 2004.
"Reconciling Stability and Growth: Smart Pacts and Structural Reforms,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 51(3), pages 431-456, November.
- Beetsma, Roel & Debrun, Xavier, 2003. "Reconciling Stability and Growth: Smart Pacts and Structural Reforms," CEPR Discussion Papers 3930, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Roel M. W. J. Beetsma & Xavier Debrun, 2003. "Reconciling Stability and Growth; Smart Pacts and Structural Reforms," IMF Working Papers 03/174, International Monetary Fund.
- Olivier Blanchard, 2004.
"The Economic Future of Europe,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 18(4), pages 3-26, Fall.
- Lorenzo Bini Smaghi & Claudio Casini, 2000. "Monetary and Fiscal Policy Co-operation: Institutions and Procedures in EMU," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(3), pages 375-391, 09.
- Bean, Charles, 1998. "Monetary Policy under EMU," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 14(3), pages 41-53, Autumn.
- Razin, Assaf & Sadka, Efraim, 2002.
"The Stability and Growth Pact as an Impediment to Privatizing Social Security,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3621, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Assaf Razin & Efraim Sadka, 2002. "The Stability and Growth Pact as an Impediment to Privatizing Social Security," NBER Working Papers 9278, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blanchard, Olivier J & Giavazzi, Francesco, 2004. "Improving the SGP Through a Proper Accounting of Public Investment," CEPR Discussion Papers 4220, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-152958 is not listed on IDEAS
- Marco Buti & Werner Rüger & Alessandro Turrini, 2009.
"Is Lisbon Far from Maastricht? Trade-offs and Complementarities between Fiscal Discipline and Structural Reforms,"
CESifo Economic Studies,
CESifo, vol. 55(1), pages 165-196, March.
- Buti, Marco & Röger, Werner & Turrini, Alessandro Antonio, 2007. "Is Lisbon far from Maastricht? Trade-offs and Complementarities between Fiscal Discipline and Structural Reforms," CEPR Discussion Papers 6204, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Khalid Sekkat & Marco Buti & Carlos Martinez-Mongay & Paul van den Noord, 2003. "Automatic fiscal stabilisers in EMU: a conflict between efficiency and stabilization?," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/7354, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Hallett, Andrew Hughes & Jensen, Svend E. Hougaard & Richter, Christian, 2005. "The European economy at the cross roads: Structural reforms, fiscal constraints, and the Lisbon Agenda," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 229-250, June.
- Deroose, Servaas & Turrini, Alessandro Antonio, 2005. "The Short-Term Budgetary Implications of Structural Reforms. Evidence from a Panel of EU Countries," CEPR Discussion Papers 5217, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Christopher Allsopp, 2002. "The Future of Macroeconomic Policy in the European Union," Discussion Papers 07, Monetary Policy Committee Unit, Bank of England.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:isa:wpaper:102. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stefania Rossetti)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.