An analysis of the knowledge base of Scientific Research & Development Business Services
It is argued that the literature on SR&D outsourcing focuses mostly on client firms, that is, the demand side, while little is known of the characteristics of the supplying sector. The present paper tackles this gap by elaborating an exploratory analysis of this business service sector with a view to analyse the main patterns of specialization and their evolution over time. Using data on job content and skill requirements in the United States we explore how different forms of knowledge co-exist and co-evolve within a changing sector.
|Date of creation:||10 Feb 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +34 963 877 048
Fax: +34 963 877 991
Web page: http://www.ingenio.upv.es/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cristiano Antonelli, 2006. "The Business Governance of Localized Knowledge: An Information Economics Approach for the Economics of Knowledge," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(3), pages 227-261.
- Davide Consoli & Dioni Elche, 2013. "The evolving knowledge base of professional service sectors," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 23(2), pages 477-501, April.
- Pier Saviotti & Koen Frenken, 2008. "Export variety and the economic performance of countries," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 18(2), pages 201-218, April.
- Paola Giuri & Matteo Ploner & Francesco Rullani & Salvatore Torrisi, 2009.
"Skill, division of labor and performance in collective inventions: Evidence from open source software,"
KITeS Working Papers
017, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Jul 2009.
- Giuri, Paola & Ploner, Matteo & Rullani, Francesco & Torrisi, Salvatore, 2010. "Skills, division of labor and performance in collective inventions: Evidence from open source software," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 54-68, January.
- Arie Lewin & Carine Peeters, 2006. "The top-line allure of off-shoring," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/9041, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Caroli, Eve, 2001. "New technologies, organizational change and the skill bias: what do we know?," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/10054, Paris Dauphine University.
- Acemoglu, Daron & Aghion, Philippe & Zilibotti, Fabrizio, 2002.
"Distance to Frontier, Selection, and Economic Growth,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3467, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Daron Acemoglu & Philippe Aghion & Fabrizio Zilibotti, 2006. "Distance to Frontier, Selection, and Economic Growth," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 4(1), pages 37-74, 03.
- Daron Acemoglu & Philippe Aghion & Fabrizio Zilibotti, 2002. "Distance to Frontier, Selection, and Economic Growth," NBER Working Papers 9066, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zilibotti, Fabrizio & Aghion, Philippe & Acemoglu, Daron, 2006. "Distance to Frontier, Selection, and Economic Growth," Scholarly Articles 4554122, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Frank Neffke & Martin Henning & Martin Ron Boschma, 2009.
"How do regions diversify over time? Industry relatedness and the development of new growth paths in regions,"
Papers in Evolutionary Economic Geography (PEEG)
0916, Utrecht University, Section of Economic Geography, revised Oct 2009.
- Frank Neffke & Martin Henning & Ron Boschma, 2011. "How Do Regions Diversify over Time? Industry Relatedness and the Development of New Growth Paths in Regions," Economic Geography, Clark University, vol. 87(3), pages 237-265, 07.
- Francesco Vona & Davide Consoli, 2011.
"Innovation and Skill Dynamics: A life-cycle approach,"
Sciences Po publications
2011-26, Sciences Po.
- Francesco Vona & Davide Consoli, 2011. "Innovation and skill dynamics: a life - cycle approach," Documents de Travail de l'OFCE 2011-26, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- David Autor & Frank Levy & Richard Murnane, 2003.
"The skill content of recent technological change: an empirical exploration,"
Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Nov.
- David H. Autor & Frank Levy & Richard J. Murnane, 2003. "The Skill Content Of Recent Technological Change: An Empirical Exploration," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 118(4), pages 1279-1333, November.
- David H. Autor & Frank Levy & Richard J. Murnane, 2001. "The Skill Content of Recent Technological Change: An Empirical Exploration," NBER Working Papers 8337, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cowan, Robin & David, Paul A & Foray, Dominique, 2000.
"The Explicit Economics of Knowledge Codification and Tacitness,"
Industrial and Corporate Change,
Oxford University Press, vol. 9(2), pages 211-53, June.
- Robin Cowan & Paul A. David & Dominique Foray, 1999. "The Explicit Economics of Knowledge Codification and Tacitness," Working Papers 99027, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Cowan Robin & David Paul & Foray Dominique, 1999. "The Explicit Economics of Knowledge Codification and Tacitness," Research Memorandum 025, Maastricht University, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Carter, Anne P., 1989. "Knowhow trading as economic exchange," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 155-163, June.
- Frank Neffke & Martin Svensson Henning, 2009. "Skill-relatedness and firm diversification," Papers on Economics and Evolution 2009-06, Philipps University Marburg, Department of Geography, revised Oct 2010.
- Amable, Bruno & Palombarini, Stéfano, 1998.
"Technical change and incorporated R&D in the service sector,"
CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange)
- Amable, Bruno & Palombarini, Stefano, 1998. "Technical change and incorporated R&D in the service sector," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(7), pages 655-675, November.
- Jackie Krafft & Francesco Quatraro & Pier Paolo Saviotti, 2011.
"The knowledge-base evolution in biotechnology: a social network analysis,"
Economics of Innovation and New Technology,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(5), pages 445-475.
- Jackie Krafft & Francesco Quatraro & Pier-Paolo Saviotti, 2011. "The knowledge-base evolution in biotechnology: a social network analysis," Post-Print halshs-00727610, HAL.
- Jackie Krafft & Francesco Quatraro & Pier-Paolo Saviotti, 2011. "The Knowledge Base Evolution in Biotechnology: A Social Network Analysis," Post-Print hal-00539002, HAL.
- Consoli, Davide & Elche-Hortelano, Dioni, 2010. "Variety in the knowledge base of Knowledge Intensive Business Services," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(10), pages 1303-1310, December.
- Jankowski, John E, 2001. " Measurement and Growth of R&D Within the Service Economy," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 26(4), pages 323-36, October.
- von Zedtwitz, Maximilian & Gassmann, Oliver & Boutellier, Roman, 2004. "Organizing global R&D: challenges and dilemmas," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 21-49.
- J.S. Metcalfe, 2002. "special issue: Knowledge of growth and the growth of knowledge," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 12(1), pages 3-15.
- Koen Frenken & Frank Van Oort & Thijs Verburg, 2007. "Related Variety, Unrelated Variety and Regional Economic Growth," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(5), pages 685-697.
- Namrata Malhotra & Timothy Morris, 2009. "Heterogeneity in Professional Service Firms," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(6), pages 895-922, 09.
- Volker Mahnke, 2001. "The Process of Vertical Dis-Integration: An Evolutionary Perspective on Outsourcing," Journal of Management and Governance, Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 353-379, September.
- Graf, Michael & Mudambi, Susan M., 2005. "The outsourcing of IT-enabled business processes: A conceptual model of the location decision," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 253-268, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ing:wpaper:201401. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (François Perruchas)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.