Impediments to Employment and Enterprise Diversification: evidence from small-scale farms in Poland
In an environment of low returns to agricultural activities and slow structural change, both employment and enterprise diversification have been presented as possible strategies for raising the incomes of farm households. This paper focuses on the barriers to taking up off-farm employment and establishing new non-agricultural enterprises. Factor and cluster analysis are applied to a data-set of individual farms in Poland in order to identify groups of households facing similar constraints and profile policy measures that are most likely to assist diversification. The majority of non-diversifiers are unlikely to become pluriactive in the near future due to a combination of age, a desire to concentrate on farming and remoteness. Farm households that are willing to diversify are characterised by the lowest agricultural incomes. For these households, a poor endowment of human and physical capital is a major constraint.
|Date of creation:||15 Dec 2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 01|
Phone: 00 353 1 896 3888
Fax: 00 353 1 896 3939
Web page: http://www.tcd.ie/iiis/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rizov, Marian & Gavrilescu, Dinu & Gow, Hamish & Mathijs, Erik & Swinnen, Johan F. M., 2001. "Transition and Enterprise Restructuring: The Development of Individual Farming in Romania," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(7), pages 1257-1274, July.
- Chaplin, Hannah & Davidova, Sophia & Gorton, Matthew, 2002. "Non-Agricultural Diversification of Farm Households and Corporate Farms in Central Europe," Workshop on the Farm Household-Firm Unit: Its Importance in Agriculture and Implications for Statistics, April 12-13, 2002, Wye Campus,Imperial College 15728, International Agricultural Policy Reform and Adjustment Project (IAPRAP).
- Darla Munroe, 2001. "Economic Efficiency in Polish Peasant Farming: An International Perspective," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(5), pages 461-471.
- Ellis, Frank, 2000. "Rural Livelihoods and Diversity in Developing Countries," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198296966.
- Lanjouw, Peter, 1999. "Rural Nonagricultural Employment and Poverty in Ecuador," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 48(1), pages 91-122, October.
- Matthew Gorton & Alina Daniłowska & Sławomir Jarka & Sławomir Straszewski & Aldona Zawojska & Edward Majewski, 2001. "The International Competitiveness of Polish Agriculture," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(4), pages 445-457.
- R. W. Fraser, 1990. "Producer Risk, Product Complementarity And Product Diversification," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(1), pages 103-107.
- Chaplin, Hannah & Davidova, Sophia & Gorton, Matthew, 2003. "Agricultural Adjustment And The Diversification Of Farm Households In Central Europe," 2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa 25843, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iis:dispap:iiisdp102. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Colette Keleher)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.