Asymptotic efficiency of semiparametric two-step GMM
In this note, we characterise the semiparametric efficiency bound for a class of semiparametric models in which the unknown nuisance functions are identified via nonparametric conditional moment restrictions with possibly non-nested or over-lapping conditioning sets, and the finite dimensional parameters are potentially over-identified via unconditional moment restrictions involving the nuisance functions. We discover a surprising result that semiparametric two-step optimally weighted GMM estimators achieve the efficiency bound, where the nuisance functions could be estimated via any consistent non-parametric procedures in the first step. Regardless of whether the efficiency bound has a closed form expression or not, we provide easy-to-compute sieve based optimal weight matrices that lead to asymptotically efficient two-step GMM estimators.
|Date of creation:||15 Oct 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: The Institute for Fiscal Studies 7 Ridgmount Street LONDON WC1E 7AE|
Phone: (+44) 020 7291 4800
Fax: (+44) 020 7323 4780
Web page: http://cemmap.ifs.org.uk
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: The Institute for Fiscal Studies 7 Ridgmount Street LONDON WC1E 7AE|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ariel Pakes & Steven Olley, 1994.
"A Limit Theorem for a Smooth Class of Semiparametric Estimators,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1066, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Pakes, Ariel & Olley, Steven, 1995. "A limit theorem for a smooth class of semiparametric estimators," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 295-332, January.
- Newey, W.K., 1989.
"The Asymptotic Variance Of Semiparametric Estimotors,"
346, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Newey, Whitney K, 1994. "The Asymptotic Variance of Semiparametric Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(6), pages 1349-82, November.
- Newey, W.K., 1991. "The Asymptotic Variance of Semiparametric Estimators," Working papers 583, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Xiaohong Chen & Oliver Linton & Ingrid Van Keilegom, 2003.
"Estimation of Semiparametric Models when the Criterion Function is not Smooth,"
STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series
450, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Xiaohong Chen & Oliver Linton & Ingrid Van Keilegom, 2003. "Estimation of Semiparametric Models when the Criterion Function Is Not Smooth," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(5), pages 1591-1608, 09.
- Xiaohong Chen & Oliver Linton & Ingred van Keilegom, 2002. "Estimation of semiparametric models when the criterion function is not smooth," CeMMAP working papers CWP02/02, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Xiaohong Chen & Oliver Linton & Ingrid Van Keilegom, 2003. "Estimation of semiparametric models when the criterion function is not smooth," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 2167, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Daniel Ackerberg & Xiaohong Chen & Jinyong Hahn, 2012.
"A Practical Asymptotic Variance Estimator for Two-Step Semiparametric Estimators,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 94(2), pages 481-498, May.
- Daniel Ackerberg & Xiaohong Chen & Jinyong Hahn, 2011. "A practical asymptotic variance estimator for two-step semiparametric estimators," CeMMAP working papers CWP22/11, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-54, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ifs:cemmap:31/12. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Emma Hyman)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.