The Euro Experience: A Review of the Euro Crisis, Policy Issues, Issues Going Forward and Policy Implications for Latin America
This policy brief reviews the experience of the countries under the Euro currency, focusing on those that have been under significant pressure in recent years— Greece, Ireland, Portugal and Spain, referred to as “emerging” economies. At first they experienced stable growth and converged to the most advanced countries, but subsequent adjustment has proven elusive due to macroeconomic conditions, worsening structural deficiencies, and incomplete integration. The conditions for the survival of the Euro zone are complex and still far from fulfillment. While Latin America has recently experienced a similar period of stable growth, there is no room for complacency. The main lesson from Europe’s experience is that Latin America must take advantage of the current context of growth, stability and optimism in order to carry out much-needed reforms that will leave countries adequately prepared to face a downturn in the world economy.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1300 New York Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20577|
Web page: http://www.iadb.org/res
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barth, James R. & Caprio, Gerard Jr. & Levine, Ross, 2012. "Guardians of Finance: Making Regulators Work for Us," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262017393, March.
- Gourinchas, Pierre-Olivier & Rey, Hélène & Truempler, Kai Alexander, 2011.
"The Financial Crisis and the Geography of Wealth Transfers,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8567, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pierre-Olivier Gourinchas & Hélène Rey & Kai Truempler, 2011. "The Financial Crisis and the Geography of Wealth Transfers," NBER Chapters, in: Global Financial Crisis National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gourinchas, Pierre-Olivier & Rey, Hélène & Truempler, Kai, 2012. "The financial crisis and the geography of wealth transfers," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(2), pages 266-283.
- Pierre-Olivier Gourinchas & Hélène Rey & Kai Truempler, 2011. "The Financial Crisis and The Geography of Wealth Transfers," NBER Working Papers 17353, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Patrick A. Imam & Erlend Nier & Luis Ignacio JÃ¡come, 2012. "Building Blocks for Effective Macroprudential Policies in Latin America; Institutional Considerations," IMF Working Papers 12/183, International Monetary Fund.
- International Monetary Fund, 2011. "Portugal; Second Review Under the Extended Arrangement," IMF Staff Country Reports 11/363, International Monetary Fund.
- Stephanie Schmitt-Grohe & Martin Uribe, 2012. "Prudential Policy for Peggers," NBER Working Papers 18031, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:idb:wpaper:4786. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Monica Bazan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.