Structural Volatility in Chile: A Policy Report
This paper identifies Chile`s economic weaknesses and offers policy recommendations for increasing stability. Current problems include weak international financial links, a Central Bank mandate that is ill-designed to deal with terms of trade shocks, a propensity to waste scarce liquidity in the banking system; and limited development of financial markets. The paper`s policy recommendations include improving external financial links, molding terms of trade contingencies into anti-cyclical policies, Improving liquidity aggregation through and within the banking sector during crises, and improving the liquidity and immediacy of domestic financial instruments.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.iadb.org/resEmail:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ricardo J. Caballero, 2000. "Structural Volatility in Mexico: A Policy Report," Research Department Publications 4209, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Calvo, Guillermo A. & Mendoza, Enrique, 1998. "Empirical Puzzles of Chilean Stabilization Policy," Working Papers 98-02, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Ricardo Caballero & Arvind Krishnamurthy, 1998.
"Emerging Market Crises: An Asset Markets Perspective,"
98-18, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Ricardo Caballero & Arvind Krishnamurthy, 1999. "Emerging Market Crises: An Asset Markets Perspective," Working papers 99-23, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Arvind Krishnamurthy & Ricardo J. Caballero, 1999. "Emerging Markets Crisis; An Asset Markets Perspective," IMF Working Papers 99/129, International Monetary Fund.
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Arvind Krishnamurthy, 1998. "Emerging Market Crises: An Asset Markets Perspective," NBER Working Papers 6843, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Piketty, Thomas & Banerjee, Abhijit & Aghion, Philippe, 1997.
"Dualism and macroeconomic volatility,"
CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange)
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, 1996.
"Financial Dependence and Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
5758, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hans J. Blommestein, 1997.
"Institutional Investors, Pension Reform, and Emerging Securities Markets,"
Research Department Publications
4094, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Hans J. Blommestein, 1997. "Institutional Investors, Pension Reform and Emerging Securities Markets," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 6807, Inter-American Development Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:idb:wpaper:4211. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Monica Bazan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.