Economic Analyses of Families: Existing Research Findings
This paper provides a literature review on economics of the family. In particular, where decisions of families related to marriage, fertility, labour supply and home production are concerned. First an overview of the theory on these issues is given, followed by a selection of empirical studies. Finally, the review highlights some areas of interest for future research in Australia.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2002|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne, Victoria 3010 Australia|
Phone: +61 3 8344 2100
Fax: +61 3 8344 2111
Web page: http://www.melbourneinstitute.com/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Juhn, Chinhui & Murphy, Kevin M, 1997.
"Wage Inequality and Family Labor Supply,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 15(1), pages 72-97, January.
- David Shapiro & Frank L. Mott, 1994. "Long-Term Employment and Earnings of Women in Relation to Employment Behavior Surrounding the First Birth," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 29(2), pages 248-275.
- Kooreman, Peter & Kapteyn, Arie, 1987.
"A Disaggregated Analysis of the Allocation of Time within the Household,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(2), pages 223-249, April.
- Kooreman, P. & Kapteyn, A.J., 1984. "A disaggregated analysis of the allocation of time within the household," Research Memorandum FEW 153, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Kathryn Shaw, 1994. "The Persistence of Female Labor Supply: Empirical Evidence and Implications," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 29(2), pages 348-378.
- Akerlof, George A, 1998. "Men without Children," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(447), pages 287-309, March.
- Jeff Grogger & Stephen G. Bronars, 1997.
"The Effect of Welfare Payments on the Marriage and Fertility Behavior of Unwed Mothers: Results from a Twins Experiment,"
NBER Working Papers
6047, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jeff Grogger & Stephen G. Bronars, 2001. "The Effect of Welfare Payments on the Marriage and Fertility Behavior of Unwed Mothers: Results from a Twins Experiment," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 109(3), pages 529-545, June.
- Apps, Patricia & Rees, Ray, 2001.
"Household production, full consumption and the costs of children,"
Elsevier, vol. 8(6), pages 621-648, December.
- Apps, Patricia & Rees, Ray, 2000. "Household Production, Full Consumption and the Costs of Children," IZA Discussion Papers 157, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Apps, P.F. & Rees, R., 1993.
"Labour Supply, Household Production and Intra-Family Welfare Distribution,"
1993-3, University of Guelph, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Apps, P. F. & Rees, R., 1996. "Labour supply, household production and intra-family welfare distribution," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 199-219, May.
- Apps, P.F. & Rees, R., 1993. "Labor Supply, Household Production and Intra-Family Welfare Distribution," Papers 248, Australian National University - Department of Economics.
- Apps, P.F. & Rees, R., 1993. "Labour Supply, Household Production and Intra-Family Welfare Distribution," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 405, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Jonathan Kelley & M. D. R. Evans, 1999. "Australian and International Survey Data for Multivariate Analysis: The IsssA," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 32(3), pages 298-303.
- Rand Ressler & Melissa Waters, 2000. "Female earnings and the divorce rate: a simultaneous equations model," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(14), pages 1889-1898.
- Francine D. Blau & Lawrence M. Kahn & Jane Waldfogel, 2000.
"Understanding Young Women's Marriage Decisions: The Role of Labor and Marriage Market Conditions,"
NBER Working Papers
7510, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Francine D. Blau & Lawrence M. Kahn & Jane Waldfogel, 2000. "Understanding Young Women's Marriage Decisions: The Role of Labor and Marriage Market Conditions," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 53(4), pages 624-647, July.
- Browning, Martin & Francois Bourguignon & Pierre-Andre Chiappori & Valerie Lechene, 1994.
"Income and Outcomes: A Structural Model of Intrahousehold Allocation,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(6), pages 1067-1096, December.
- Browning, M. & Bourguignon, F. & Chiappori, P.A. & Lechene, V., 1992. "Incomes and Outcomes: A structural Model of Intra-Household Allocation," DELTA Working Papers 92-23, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Wilbert van der Klaauw, 1996.
"Female Labour Supply and Marital Status Decisions: A Life-Cycle Model,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 63(2), pages 199-235.
- Van Der Klaauw, W., 1993. "Female Labor Supply and Marital Status Decisions: A Life Cycle Model," Working Papers 93-23, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Michael Bittman & Gabrielle Meagher & George Matheson, 1998. "The Changing Boundary Between Home and Market: Australian Trends in Outsourcing Domestic Labour," Discussion Papers 0086, University of New South Wales, Social Policy Research Centre.
- Williams, Ross & Donath, Sue, 1994. "Simultaneous Uses of Time in Household Production," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 40(4), pages 433-56, December.
- Pierre Lefebvre & Philip Merrigan, 1998. "The Impact of Welfare Benefits on the Conjugal Status of Single Mothers in Canada: Estimates from a Hazard Model," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 33(3), pages 742-757.
- Shelley Phipps, . "Economics and Well-Being of Canadian Children," Canadian International Labour Network Working Papers 35, McMaster University.
- Robert Moffitt, 1984. "Profiles of Fertility, Labour Supply and Wages of Married Women: A Complete Life-Cycle Model," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 51(2), pages 263-278.
- O'Connell, Philip J. & Russell, Helen & FitzGerald, John, 2006. "Human Resources," Book Chapters, in: Morgenroth, Edgar (ed.), Ex-Ante Evaluation of the Investment Priorities for the National Development Plan 2007-2013 Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Wales, Terence J & Woodland, A D, 1977. "Estimation of the Allocation of Time for Work, Leisure, and Housework," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(1), pages 115-32, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iae:iaewps:wp2002n27. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Abbey Treloar)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.