Economic Analyses of Families: Existing Research Findings
This paper provides a literature review on economics of the family. In particular, where decisions of families related to marriage, fertility, labour supply and home production are concerned. First an overview of the theory on these issues is given, followed by a selection of empirical studies. Finally, the review highlights some areas of interest for future research in Australia.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +61 3 8344 2100
Fax: +61 3 8344 2111
Web page: http://www.melbourneinstitute.com/Email:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rand Ressler & Melissa Waters, 2000. "Female earnings and the divorce rate: a simultaneous equations model," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(14), pages 1889-1898.
- Van Der Klaauw, W., 1993.
"Female Labor Supply and Marital Status Decisions: A Life Cycle Model,"
93-23, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- van der Klaauw, Wilbert, 1996. "Female Labour Supply and Marital Status Decisions: A Life-Cycle Model," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 63(2), pages 199-235, April.
- Wales, Terence J & Woodland, A D, 1977. "Estimation of the Allocation of Time for Work, Leisure, and Housework," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(1), pages 115-32, January.
- Kathryn Shaw, 1994. "The Persistence of Female Labor Supply: Empirical Evidence and Implications," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 29(2), pages 348-378.
- Apps, P.F. & Rees, R., 1993.
"Labor Supply, Household Production and Intra-Family Welfare Distribution,"
248, Australian National University - Department of Economics.
- Apps, P. F. & Rees, R., 1996. "Labour supply, household production and intra-family welfare distribution," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 199-219, May.
- Apps, P.F. & Rees, R., 1993. "Labour Supply, Household Production and Intra-Family Welfare Distribution," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 405, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Apps, P.F. & Rees, R., 1993. "Labour Supply, Household Production and Intra-Family Welfare Distribution," Working Papers 1993-3, University of Guelph, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Apps, Patricia & Rees, Ray, 2000.
"Household Production, Full Consumption and the Costs of Children,"
IZA Discussion Papers
157, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Apps, Patricia & Rees, Ray, 2001. "Household production, full consumption and the costs of children," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(6), pages 621-648, December.
- O'Connell, Philip J. & Russell, Helen & FitzGerald, John, 2006. "Human Resources," Book Chapters, in: Morgenroth, Edgar (ed.), Ex-Ante Evaluation of the Investment Priorities for the National Development Plan 2007-2013 Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Francine D. Blau & Lawrence M. Kahn & Jane Waldfogel, 2000.
"Understanding young women's marriage decisions: The role of labor and marriage market conditions,"
Industrial and Labor Relations Review,
ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 53(4), pages 624-647, July.
- Francine D. Blau & Lawrence M. Kahn & Jane Waldfogel, 2000. "Understanding Young Women's Marriage Decisions: The Role of Labor and Marriage Market Conditions," NBER Working Papers 7510, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pierre Lefebvre & Philip Merrigan, 1998. "The Impact of Welfare Benefits on the Conjugal Status of Single Mothers in Canada: Estimates from a Hazard Model," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 33(3), pages 742-757.
- Browning, M. & Bourguignon, F. & Chiappori, P.A. & Lechene, V., 1992.
"Incomes and Outcomes: A structural Model of Intra-Household Allocation,"
DELTA Working Papers
92-23, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Browning, Martin & Francois Bourguignon & Pierre-Andre Chiappori & Valerie Lechene, 1994. "Income and Outcomes: A Structural Model of Intrahousehold Allocation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(6), pages 1067-96, December.
- Michael Bittman & Gabrielle Meagher & George Matheson, 1998. "The Changing Boundary Between Home and Market: Australian Trends in Outsourcing Domestic Labour," Discussion Papers 0086, University of New South Wales, Social Policy Research Centre.
- Jonathan Kelley & M. D. R. Evans, 1999. "Australian and International Survey Data for Multivariate Analysis: The IsssA," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 32(3), pages 298-303.
- Akerlof, George A, 1998. "Men without Children," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(447), pages 287-309, March.
- Kooreman, Peter & Kapteyn, Arie, 1987.
"A Disaggregated Analysis of the Allocation of Time within the Household,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(2), pages 223-49, April.
- Kooreman, P. & Kapteyn, A.J., 1984. "A disaggregated analysis of the allocation of time within the household," Research Memorandum FEW 153, School of Economics and Management.
- Chinhui Juhn & Kevin M. Murphy, 1996.
"Wage Inequality and Family Labor Supply,"
NBER Working Papers
5459, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Shapiro & Frank L. Mott, 1994. "Long-Term Employment and Earnings of Women in Relation to Employment Behavior Surrounding the First Birth," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 29(2), pages 248-275.
- Jeff Grogger & Stephen G. Bronars, 2001.
"The Effect of Welfare Payments on the Marriage and Fertility Behavior of Unwed Mothers: Results from a Twins Experiment,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 109(3), pages 529-545, June.
- Jeff Grogger & Stephen G. Bronars, 1997. "The Effect of Welfare Payments on the Marriage and Fertility Behavior of Unwed Mothers: Results from a Twins Experiment," NBER Working Papers 6047, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Williams, Ross & Donath, Sue, 1994. "Simultaneous Uses of Time in Household Production," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 40(4), pages 433-56, December.
- Moffitt, Robert, 1984. "Profiles of Fertility, Labour Supply and Wages of Married Women: A Complete Life-Cycle Model," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(2), pages 263-78, April.
- Shelley Phipps, . "Economics and Well-Being of Canadian Children," Canadian International Labour Network Working Papers 35, McMaster University.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iae:iaewps:wp2002n27. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (James Davis)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.