Remarks on Bargaining and Cooperation in Strategic Form Games
Although possessing many beautiful features, the Hart and Mas-Colell bargaining model is not flawless: the concept of threat in this model may behave quite counter-intuitive, and its SP equilibrium expected payoff vector may not be the same as the min-max solution payoff vector in zero-sum games. If we postpone realizations of all threats to the end of the game, the two problems can be solved simultaneously. This is exactly the 2(a) model suggested by Hart and Mas-Colell in the last section of their paper. I show that the new model, unfortunately, can only guarantee the existence of an SP equilibrium in the two player case. For the original model, I reduce the computation of an SP equilibrium to a system of linear inequalities. Quantitative efficiency and symmetric SP equilibria are also discussed.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ratio.huji.ac.il/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sergiu Hart & Andreu Mas-Colell, 2010. "Bargaining and Cooperation in Strategic Form Games," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 8(1), pages 7-33, 03.
- Dhillon, Amrita & Mertens, Jean Francois, 1996.
"Perfect Correlated Equilibria,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 279-302, February.
- Dhillon, A. & Mertens, J.F., . "Perfect correlated equilibria," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1197, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- DHILLON, Amrita & MERTENS, Jean-François, 1992. "Perfect correlated equilibria," CORE Discussion Papers 1992039, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Hart, Sergiu & Mas-Colell, Andreu, 1996.
"Bargaining and Value,"
Econometric Society, vol. 64(2), pages 357-80, March.
- Nash, John, 1953. "Two-Person Cooperative Games," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 21(1), pages 128-140, April.
- Sergiu Hart, 2004.
122247000000000471, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Sergiu Hart, 2004.
"A comparison of non-transferable utility values,"
Theory and Decision,
Springer, vol. 56(2_2), pages 35-46, 02.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:huj:dispap:dp565. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ilan Nehama)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.