Almost Common Priors
What happens when priors are not common? We show that for each type proﬁle τ over a knowledge space (Ω, Π), where the state space Ω is connected with respect to the partition proﬁle Π, we can associate a value 0 ≤ ε ≤ 1 that we term the prior distance of τ , where ε = 0 if and only if the proﬁle has a common prior. If τ has ε prior distance, then for any bet f amongst the players, it cannot be common knowledge that each player expects a positive gain of ε‖f‖ ∞ , thus extending no betting results under common priors. Furthermore, as more information is obtained and partitions are reﬁned, the prior distance, and thus the extent of common knowledge disagreement, decreases. %Length: 18 pages %File-URL: http://ratio.huji.ac.il/sites/default/files/publications/dp560.pdf
|Date of creation:||Sep 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Forthcoming in International Journal of Game Theory.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ratio.huji.ac.il/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dov Samet, 1997.
"Common Priors and Separation of Convex Sets,"
Game Theory and Information
- Dov Samet, 1998.
"Quantified beliefs and believed quantities,"
Game Theory and Information
- R. Aumann, 2010.
"Correlated Equilibrium as an expression of Bayesian Rationality,"
513, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Aumann, Robert J, 1987. "Correlated Equilibrium as an Expression of Bayesian Rationality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(1), pages 1-18, January.
- Robert J. Aumann, 2010. "Correlated Equilibrium as an expression of Bayesian Rationality," Levine's Working Paper Archive 661465000000000377, David K. Levine.
- Ziv Hellman & Dov Samet, 2010.
"How Common Are Common Priors?,"
Discussion Paper Series
dp532, The Federmann Center for the Study of Rationality, the Hebrew University, Jerusalem.
- Feinberg, Yossi, 2000. "Characterizing Common Priors in the Form of Posteriors," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 91(2), pages 127-179, April.
- Larry Samuelson, 2004. "Modeling Knowledge in Economic Analysis," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 42(2), pages 367-403, June.
- Morris, Stephen, 1995. "The Common Prior Assumption in Economic Theory," Economics and Philosophy, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(02), pages 227-253, October.
- Giacomo Bonanno & Klaus Nehring, 1999. "How to make sense of the common prior assumption under incomplete information," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer, vol. 28(3), pages 409-434.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:huj:dispap:dp560. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ilan Nehama)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.