Immigrant Women and Entrepreneurship: A Study of the Health Care Sector in Sweden, 2002-2006
Using unique Swedish longitudinal full-population data and logistic regression, this paper explores whether start-ups of foreign born female heath care workers are structurally (i.e. comparatively higher unemployment and lower wages) or culturally (defined as country of birth) motivated. While structural factors are significantly related to female entrepreneurship regardless of origin, no additional effect is found whether for foreign born more broadly defined, or when adding specific country of birth. Thus, we conclude that structural disadvantage motives, based on gender rather than ethnicity, dominate over possible cultural motives for entrepreneurship.
|Date of creation:||14 Feb 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Stockholm University Linnaeus Center for Integration Studies - SULCIS, Stockholm University, S-10691 Stockholm, Sweden|
Web page: http://www.su.se/sulcis
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Werner Bönte & Oliver Falck & Stephan Heblich, 2009.
"The Impact of Regional Age Structure on Entrepreneurship,"
Clark University, vol. 85(3), pages 269-287, 07.
- Bönte, Werner & Falck, Oliver & Heblich, Stephan, 2009. "The impact of regional age structure on entrepreneurship," Munich Reprints in Economics 20201, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Clark, Kenneth & Drinkwater, Stephen, 2000. "Pushed out or pulled in? Self-employment among ethnic minorities in England and Wales," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(5), pages 603-628, September.
- Tüzin Baycan-Levent & Enno Masurel & Peter Nijkamp, 2003. "Gender Differences in Ethnic Entrepreneurship," ERSA conference papers ersa03p499, European Regional Science Association.
- Lofstrom, Magnus & Bates, Timothy, 2009.
IZA Discussion Papers
3997, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- George J. Borjas, 1986.
"The Self-Employment Experience of Immigrants,"
NBER Working Papers
1942, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Qingfang Wang, 2010. "Immigration and Ethnic Entrepreneurship: A Comparative Study in the United States," Growth and Change, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(3), pages 430-458.
- Richard Wright, 2000. "The Ethnic and Gender Division of Labor Compared Among Immigrants to Los Angeles," International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(3), pages 567-582, 09.
- Borjas, George J & Bronars, Stephen G, 1989.
"Consumer Discrimination and Self-employment,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(3), pages 581-605, June.
- Mats Hammarstedt, 2001. "Immigrant self-employment in Sweden - its variation and some possible determinants," Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(2), pages 147-161, April.
- Amelie F. Constant, 2009. "Businesswomen in Germany and their performance by ethnicity," International Journal of Manpower, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 30(1/2), pages 145-162, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:sulcis:2013_003. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Eskil Wadensjö)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.