Rental Expectations and the Term Structure of Lease Rates
We consider the term structure of lease rates in a general setting where both the interest rate and the short rent are stochastic. Our framework is applicable to any leasing market, but we focus on real estate. We find that the “expectations hypothesis” of lease rates, i.e. that the forward rent is an unbiased estimator of the future short rent, requires similar assumptions as in interest rate theory to hold. To study the magnitude of the bias we parameterize our general framework. The simulations show that different realistic parameter values for risk aversion and interest rate stochastics can generate widely different shapes of the rental term structure, holding the objective rental expectations constant. As a result, an expected increase in rent may very well be consistent with a downward-sloping term structure and vice versa.
|Date of creation:||13 Oct 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.sifr.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Steven R. Grenadier, 2003. "An Equilibrium Analysis of Real Estate," NBER Working Papers 9475, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Miller, Merton H & Upton, Charles W, 1976. "Leasing, Buying, and the Cost of Capital Services," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 31(3), pages 761-86, June.
- Lo, Andrew W & Wang, Jiang, 1995.
" Implementing Option Pricing Models When Asset Returns Are Predictable,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 50(1), pages 87-129, March.
- Andrew W. Lo & Jiang Wang, 1994. "Implementing Option Pricing Models When Asset Returns Are Predictable," NBER Working Papers 4720, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lo, Andrew W. (Andrew Wen-Chuan) & Wang, Jiang, 1959-, 1993. "Implementing option pricing models when asset returns are predictable," Working papers 3593-93., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Grenadier, Steven R., 1996. "Leasing and credit risk," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 333-364, November.
- Gunnelin, Åke & Söderberg, Bo, 2002. "Term Structures in the Office Rental Market in Stockholm," SIFR Research Report Series 6, Institute for Financial Research.
- Grenadier, Steven R., 1995. "Valuing lease contracts A real-options approach," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 297-331, July.
- Miceli, Thomas J. & Sirmans, C. F., 1999. "Tenant Turnover, Rental Contracts, and Self-Selection," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 301-311, December.
- Peter ENGLUND & Åke GUNNELIN & Martin HOESLI & Bo SÖDERBERG, 2002.
"Implicit Forward Rents as Predictors of Future Rents,"
FAME Research Paper Series
rp59, International Center for Financial Asset Management and Engineering.
- Peter Englund & �ke Gunnelin & Martin Hoesli & Bo Söderberg, 2004. "Implicit Forward Rents as Predictors of Future Rents," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 32(2), pages 183-215, 06.
- Englund, Peter & Gunnelin, Åke & Hoesli, Martin & Söderberg, Bo, 2002. "Implicit Forward Rents as Predictors of Future Rents," SIFR Research Report Series 12, Institute for Financial Research.
- Cox, John C & Ingersoll, Jonathan E, Jr & Ross, Stephen A, 1981. "A Re-examination of Traditional Hypotheses about the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 36(4), pages 769-99, September.
- Vasicek, Oldrich, 1977. "An equilibrium characterization of the term structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 177-188, November.
- McConnell, John J. & Schallheim, James S., 1983. "Valuation of asset leasing contracts," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 237-261, August.
- Duffie, Darrell & Singleton, Kenneth J, 1997. " An Econometric Model of the Term Structure of Interest-Rate Swap Yields," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(4), pages 1287-1321, September.
- Patric H. Hendershott & Colin M. Lizieri & George A. Matysiak, 1999. "The Workings of the London Office Market," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 27(2), pages 365-387.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:sifrwp:0016. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anki Helmer)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Anki Helmer to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.