Marginal versus Average Beta of Equity under Corporate Taxation
Even for fully equity-financed firms there may be substantial effects of taxation on the after-tax cost of capital. Among the few studies of these effects, even fewer identify all effects correctly. When marginal investment is taxed together with inframarginal, marginal beta differs from average if there are investmentrelated deductions like depreciation. To calculate asset betas, one should not only "unlever" observed equity betas, but "untax" and "unaverage" them. Risky tax claims are valued as call options, with closed-form solutions for the exercise probability. Results have practical relevance for multinationals operating under different tax systems.
|Date of creation:||09 Jun 2009|
|Publication status:||Published as Lund, Diderik, 'How taxes on firms reduce the risk of after-tax cash flows' in FinanzArchiv/Public Finance Analysis, 2014, pages 567-598.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Economics, University of Oslo, P.O Box 1095 Blindern, N-0317 Oslo, Norway|
Phone: 22 85 51 27
Fax: 22 85 50 35
Web page: http://www.oekonomi.uio.no/indexe.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Steve Bond & Michael Devereux, 1993.
"On the design of a neutral business tax under uncertainty,"
IFS Working Papers
W93/01, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Bonds, Stephen R. & Devereux, Michael P., 1995. "On the design of a neutral business tax under uncertainty," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 57-71, September.
- Marin, Dalia & Schnitzer, Monika, 2006.
"When is FDI a Capital Flow?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5755, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marin, Dalia & Schnitzer, Monika, 2006. "When is FDI a Capital Flow?," Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems 126, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Marin, Dalia & Schnitzer, Monika, 2011. "When is FDI a capital flow?," Munich Reprints in Economics 19257, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Marin, Dalia & Schnitzer, Monika, 2006. "When is FDI a Capital Flow?," Discussion Papers in Economics 1158, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Bulow, Jeremy I & Summers, Lawrence H, 1984.
"The Taxation of Risky Assets,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 92(1), pages 20-39, February.
- Paul G. Bradley, 1998. "On the Use of Modern Asset Pricing for Comparing Alternative Royalty Systems for Petroleum Development Projects," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 1), pages 47-81.
- Levy, Haim & Arditti, Fred D, 1973. "Valuation, Leverage, and the Cost of Capital in the Case of Depreciable Assets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 28(3), pages 687-693, June.
- Miller, Merton H, 1977. "Debt and Taxes," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(2), pages 261-275, May.
- Cooper, Ian A. & Nyborg, Kjell G., 2005.
"Tax-adjusted discount rates with investor taxes and risky debt,"
2005/15, Department of Business and Management Science, Norwegian School of Economics, revised 20 Sep 2007.
- Ian A. Cooper & Kjell G. Nyborg, 2008. "Tax-Adjusted Discount Rates with Investor Taxes and Risky Debt," Financial Management, Financial Management Association International, vol. 37(2), pages 365-379, 06.
- Cooper, Ian & Nyborg, Kjell G, 2008. "Tax-Adjusted Discount Rates with Investor Taxes and Risky Debt," CEPR Discussion Papers 6646, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lund, Diderik, 2009.
"Rent Taxation for Nonrenewable Resources,"
01/2009, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Benninga, Simon & Sarig, Oded, 2003. "Risk, returns, and values in the presence of differential taxation," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 1123-1138, June.
- Green, Richard C & Talmor, Eli, 1985. " The Structure and Incentive Effects of Corporate Tax Liabilities," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(4), pages 1095-1114, September.
- Ray Ball & John Bowers, 1983. "Distortions Created by Taxes Which are Options on Value Creation: The Australian Resources Rent Tax Proposal," Australian Journal of Management, Australian School of Business, vol. 8(2), pages 1-14, December.
- Merton, Robert C, 1973. "An Intertemporal Capital Asset Pricing Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(5), pages 867-87, September.
- Lund, Diderik, 2005. "An analytical model of required returns to equity under taxation with imperfect loss offset," Memorandum 13/2005, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Fane, G., 1987. "Neutral taxation under uncertainty," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 95-105, June.
- Graham, John R. & Harvey, Campbell R., 2001. "The theory and practice of corporate finance: evidence from the field," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2-3), pages 187-243, May.
- Lund,D., 2001. "Taxation, uncertainty, and the cost of equity for a multinational firm," Memorandum 13/2001, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Henry D. Jacoby & David G. Laughton, 1992. "Project Evaluation: A Pracitcal Asset Pricing Method," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 2), pages 19-48.
- Lund, Diderik, 2006. "Taxation and systematic risk under decreasing returns to scale," Working Papers 02-2003, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Economics.
- Hall, Robert E & Jorgenson, Dale W, 1969. "Tax Policy and Investment Behavior: Reply and Further Results," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(3), pages 388-401, June.
- Axel Pierru & Denis Babusiaux, 2008. "Valuation of investment projects by an international oil company: a new proof of a straightforward, rigorous method," OPEC Energy Review, Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries, vol. 32(3), pages 197-214, 09.
- Robert McDonald & Daniel Siegel, 1986. "The Value of Waiting to Invest," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 101(4), pages 707-727.
- Lund, Diderik, 2006. "Valuation, leverage and the cost of capital in the case of depreciable assets," Working Papers 03-2003, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Economics.
- Galai, Dan & Masulis, Ronald W., 1976. "The option pricing model and the risk factor of stock," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(1-2), pages 53-81.
- Dan Galai, 1998. "Taxes, M-M Propositions and Government's Implicit Cost of Capital in Investment Projects in the Private Sector," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 4(2), pages 143-157.
- Diderik Lund, 2003.
"How to analyze the investment–uncertainty relationship in real option models?,"
EPRU Working Paper Series
03-17, Economic Policy Research Unit (EPRU), University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Lund, Diderik, 2005. "How to analyze the investment-uncertainty relationship in real option models?," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(3-4), pages 311-322.
- Shanker, Latha, 2000. "An innovative analysis of taxes and corporate hedging," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 10(3-4), pages 237-255, December.
- Diderik Lund, 2002. "Taxation, Uncertainty, and the Cost of Equity," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 9(4), pages 483-503, August.
- Gordon Salahor, 1998. "Implications of Output Price Risk and Operating Leverage for the Evaluation of Petroleum Development Projects," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 1), pages 13-46.
- Garnaut, Ross & Clunies Ross, Anthony, 1975. "Uncertainty, Risk Aversion and the Taxing of Natural Resource Projects," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 85(338), pages 272-87, June.
- McDonald, Robert & Siegel, Daniel, 1984. " Option Pricing When the Underlying Asset Earns a Below-Equilibrium Rate of Return: A Note," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(1), pages 261-265, March.
- Gordon, Roger H & Wilson, John Douglas, 1989.
"Measuring the Efficiency Cost of Taxing Risky Capital Income,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 79(3), pages 427-439, June.
- Roger H. Gordon & John D. Wilson, 1986. "Measuring the Efficiency Cost of Taxing Risky Capital Income," NBER Working Papers 1992, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Diderik Lund, 2002. "Petroleum Tax Reform Proposals in Norway and Denmark," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 4), pages 37-56.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:osloec:2009_012. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Magnus Gabriel Aase)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.