Taxing Risky Investment
This Paper re-examines the impact of capital income taxes on the incentive to invest in the presence of risk. Specifically, it challenges a well-known claim in the literature that such a tax can leave incentives ‘basically unaffected’ because the tax liability is offset by a reduction in the post-tax risk of the investment. The Paper argues that this claim is based on a misinterpretation of the cost of capital, and that in general the cost of capital is not helpful in assessing investment incentives in the presence of risk. Instead it proposes an alternative measure, based on the market value of the pre-tax stochastic cash flows. This measure indicates that the disincentive effect of capital income taxes can be substantial.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.|
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bulow, Jeremy I & Summers, Lawrence H, 1984.
"The Taxation of Risky Assets,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 92(1), pages 20-39, February.
- Steve Bond & Michael Devereux, 1993.
"On the design of a neutral business tax under uncertainty,"
IFS Working Papers
W93/01, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Bonds, Stephen R. & Devereux, Michael P., 1995. "On the design of a neutral business tax under uncertainty," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 57-71, September.
- Roger H. Gordon, 1985. "Taxation of Corporate Capital Income: Tax Revenues Versus Tax Distortions," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 100(1), pages 1-27.
- Gordon, Roger H & Wilson, John Douglas, 1989.
"Measuring the Efficiency Cost of Taxing Risky Capital Income,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 79(3), pages 427-39, June.
- Roger H. Gordon & John D. Wilson, 1986. "Measuring the Efficiency Cost of Taxing Risky Capital Income," NBER Working Papers 1992, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kaplow, Louis, 1994. "Taxation and Risk Taking: A General Equilibrium Perspective," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 47(4), pages 789-98, December.
- Louis Kaplow, 1991. "Taxation and Risk Taking: A General Equilibrium Perspective," NBER Working Papers 3709, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- J. E. Stiglitz, 1969.
"The Effects of Income, Wealth, and Capital Gains Taxation on Risk-Taking,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 83(2), pages 263-283.
- Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1968. "The Effects of Income, Wealth, and Capital Gains Taxation on Risk Taking," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 248, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Boadway, Robin & Bruce, Neil, 1984.
"A general proposition on the design of a neutral business tax,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 231-239, July.
- Robin Boadway & Neil Bruce, 1982. "A General Proposition on the Design of a Neutral Business Tax," Working Papers 461, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Steve Bond & Michael Devereux, 1999.
"Generalised R-based and S-based taxes under uncertainty,"
IFS Working Papers
W99/09, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Bond, Stephen R. & Devereux, Michael P., 2003. "Generalised R-based and S-based taxes under uncertainty," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(5-6), pages 1291-1311, May.
- Hubbard, R Glenn, 1997. "How Different Are Income and Consumption Taxes?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(2), pages 138-42, May.
- Fane, G., 1987. "Neutral taxation under uncertainty," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 95-105, June.
- Diderik Lund, 2002. "Taxation, Uncertainty, and the Cost of Equity," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 9(4), pages 483-503, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:4053. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.