Taxation and systematic risk under decreasing returns to scale
Lund (2002a) showed in a CAPM-type model how tax depreciation schedules affect required expected returns after taxes. Even without leverage higher tax rates implied lower betas when tax deductions were risk free. Here they are risky, and marginal investment is taxed together with inframarginal in an analytical model of decreasing returns. With imperfect loss offset tax claims are analogous to call options. The beta of equity is still decreasing in the tax rate, but increasing in the underlying volatility. The results are important if market data are used to infer required expected returns, and in discussions of tax design.
|Date of creation:||02 Jun 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 38 15 25 75
Fax: 38 15 34 99
Web page: http://www.cbs.dk/departments/econ/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Miller, Merton H, 1977. "Debt and Taxes," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(2), pages 261-75, May.
- Myers, Stewart C, 1974. "Interactions of Corporate Financing and Investment Decisions-Implications for Capital Budgeting," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 29(1), pages 1-25, March.
- Jeremy I. Bulow & Lawrence H. Summers, 1982.
"The Taxation of Risky Assets,"
NBER Working Papers
0897, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Diderik Lund, 2002. "Taxation, Uncertainty, and the Cost of Equity," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 9(4), pages 483-503, August.
- Lund, Diderik, 2006. "Valuation, leverage and the cost of capital in the case of depreciable assets," Working Papers 03-2003, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Economics.
- Roger H. Gordon & John D. Wilson, 1986.
"Measuring the Efficiency Cost of Taxing Risky Capital Income,"
NBER Working Papers
1992, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gordon, Roger H & Wilson, John Douglas, 1989. "Measuring the Efficiency Cost of Taxing Risky Capital Income," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(3), pages 427-39, June.
- Lund,D., 2001. "Taxation, uncertainty, and the cost of equity for a multinational firm," Memorandum 13/2001, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Benninga, Simon & Sarig, Oded, 2003. "Risk, returns, and values in the presence of differential taxation," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 1123-1138, June.
- Gordon A. Sick, 1990. "Tax-Adjusted Discount Rates," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 36(12), pages 1432-1450, December.
- Diderik Lund, 2002. "Petroleum Tax Reform Proposals in Norway and Denmark," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 4), pages 37-56.
- Graham, John R. & Harvey, Campbell R., 2001. "The theory and practice of corporate finance: evidence from the field," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2-3), pages 187-243, May.
- Hall, Robert E & Jorgenson, Dale W, 1969. "Tax Policy and Investment Behavior: Reply and Further Results," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(3), pages 388-401, June.
- William F. Sharpe, 1964. "Capital Asset Prices: A Theory Of Market Equilibrium Under Conditions Of Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 19(3), pages 425-442, 09.
- Lawrence H. Summers, 1987.
"Investment Incentives and the Discounting of Depreciation Allowances,"
in: The Effects of Taxation on Capital Accumulation, pages 295-304
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lawrence H. Summers, 1986. "Investment Incentives and the Discounting of Depreciation Allowances," NBER Working Papers 1941, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shanker, Latha, 2000. "An innovative analysis of taxes and corporate hedging," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 10(3-4), pages 237-255, December.
- Ray Ball & John Bowers, 1983. "Distortions Created by Taxes Which are Options on Value Creation: The Australian Resources Rent Tax Proposal," Australian Journal of Management, Australian School of Business, vol. 8(2), pages 1-14, December.
- McDonald, Robert & Siegel, Daniel, 1984. " Option Pricing When the Underlying Asset Earns a Below-Equilibrium Rate of Return: A Note," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(1), pages 261-65, March.
- Levy, Haim & Arditti, Fred D, 1973. "Valuation, Leverage, and the Cost of Capital in the Case of Depreciable Assets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 28(3), pages 687-93, June.
- Fane, G., 1987. "Neutral taxation under uncertainty," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 95-105, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:cbsnow:2003_002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lars Nondal)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.