Neutral Taxation of Shareholder Income: A Norwegian Tax Reform Proposal
A Norwegian tax reform committee recently proposed a personal tax on the realized income from shares after deduction for an imputed risk-free rate of return. This paper describes the design of the proposed shareholder income tax and shows that it will be approximately neutral in several important dimensions, provided that full loss o.sets are granted. Thus the tax allows some non-distortionary double taxation of corporate equity income. With an appropriate choice of tax rates, it also solves the problem of income shifting under a dual income tax. The final part of the paper clarifies the differences between the shareholder income tax and previous proposals for neutral capital income taxation.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 (89) 9224-0
Fax: +49 (89) 985369
Web page: http://www.cesifo.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Diderik Lund, 2002. "Taxation, Uncertainty, and the Cost of Equity," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 9(4), pages 483-503, August.
- Steve Bond & Michael Devereux, 1993.
"On the design of a neutral business tax under uncertainty,"
IFS Working Papers
W93/01, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Bonds, Stephen R. & Devereux, Michael P., 1995. "On the design of a neutral business tax under uncertainty," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 57-71, September.
- Auerbach, Alan J, 1991.
"Retrospective Capital Gains Taxation,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 81(1), pages 167-78, March.
- Lindhe, T. & Sodersten, J. & Oberg, A., 2001.
"Economic Effects of Taxing Closed Corporations under a Dual Income Tax,"
2001:16, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Lindhe, Tobias & Södersten, Jan & Öberg, Ann, 2001. "Economic Effects of Taxing Closed Corporations under a Dual Income Tax," Working Paper Series 2001:16, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Massimo Bordignon & Silvia Giannini & Paolo Panteghini, 2001. "Reforming Business Taxation: Lessons from Italy?," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 8(2), pages 191-210, March.
- Michael Keen & John King, 2002. "The Croatian profit tax: an ACE in practice," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 23(3), pages 401-418, September.
- Robin Boadway & Neil Bruce, 1982.
"A General Proposition on the Design of a Neutral Business Tax,"
461, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Boadway, Robin & Bruce, Neil, 1984. "A general proposition on the design of a neutral business tax," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 231-239, July.
- Auerbach, Alan J. & Bradford, David F., 2004.
"Generalized cash-flow taxation,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 88(5), pages 957-980, April.
- Alan A. Auerbach & David F. Bradford, 2001. "Generalized Cash Flow Taxation," NBER Working Papers 8122, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alan J. Auerbach & David F. Bradford, 2001. "Generalized Cash Flow Taxation," Working Papers 131, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Center for Economic Policy Studies..
- Diderik Lund, 2002. "Petroleum Tax Reform Proposals in Norway and Denmark," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 4), pages 37-56.
- Michael Devereux & Harold Freeman, 1991. "A general neutral profits tax," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 12(3), pages 1-15, August.
- Atkinson, A B & Sandmo, A, 1980. "Welfare Implications of the Taxation of Savings," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 90(359), pages 529-49, September.
- Erik Fjaerli & Diderik Lund, 2001. "The choice between owner's wages and dividends under the dual income tax," Finnish Economic Papers, Finnish Economic Association, vol. 14(2), pages 104-119, Autumn.
- Fane, G., 1987. "Neutral taxation under uncertainty," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 95-105, June.
- Mikael Apel & Jan Södersten, 1999. "Personal Taxation and Investment Incentives in a Small Open Economy," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 6(1), pages 79-88, February.
- Alan Auerbach & David Bradford, 2001. "Generalized Cash Flow Taxation," CESifo Working Paper Series 425, CESifo Group Munich.
- Sandmo, Agnar, 1989. "Differential taxation and the encouragement of risk-taking," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 55-59.
- Gordon, Roger H, 1985. "Taxation of Corporate Capital Income: Tax Revenues versus Tax Distortions," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 100(1), pages 1-27, February.
- Nielsen, Soren Bo & Sorensen, Peter Birch, 1997. "On the optimality of the Nordic system of dual income taxation," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(3), pages 311-329, February.
- Peter Sørensen, 1994. "From the global income tax to the dual income tax: Recent tax reforms in the Nordic countries," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 57-79, February.
- Sandmo, Agnar, 1979. "A note on the neutrality of the cash flow corporation tax," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 173-176.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ces:ceswps:_1036. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.