Optimum congestion pricing in a complex network
Road tolls are a well established way of dealing with problems of congestion. Over recent years, the literature has expanded to take account of how congestion charges might interact with imperfections in other markets. In this paper, we consider the case where congestion occurs within a complex road network, with congestion on multiple links. To derive a truly optimal toll, account must be taken of the entire network. As a case study, we take a stylised version of the road network in Bergen, Norway.
|Date of creation:||27 May 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: NHH, Department of Business and Management Science, Helleveien 30, N-5045 Bergen, Norway|
Phone: +47 55 95 92 93
Fax: +47 55 95 96 50
Web page: http://www.nhh.no/en/research-faculty/department-of-business-and-management-science.aspx
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ieromonachou, P. & Potter, S. & Warren, J.P., 2006. "Norway's urban toll rings: Evolving towards congestion charging?," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(5), pages 367-378, September.
- Noland, Robert B., 1997. "Commuter Responses to Travel Time Uncertainty under Congested Conditions: Expected Costs and the Provision of Information," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 377-406, May.
- Castillo, J. M. Del & Benítez, F. G., 1995. "On the functional form of the speed-density relationship--I: General theory," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 373-389, October.
- Verhoef, Erik & Nijkamp, Peter & Rietveld, Piet, 1996. "Second-Best Congestion Pricing: The Case of an Untolled Alternative," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 279-302, November.
- Anas, Alex, 1983. "Discrete choice theory, information theory and the multinomial logit and gravity models," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 13-23, February.
- Choe, Chongwoo & Clarke, Harry, 2000. "Pricing and Investment Decisions for a Tollway with Possible Route Substitution onto Alternative Congested Roads," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(1), pages 84-91, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:nhhfms:2013_004. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stein Fossen)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.