Economic-Social Interaction during China’s Transition
I discuss the nature of the economic reforms in China during the last quarter of a century in the context of a typology of economic systems, emphasizing the interaction between economic and social mechanisms. I also consider China’s options for further reforms. I focus on economic reforms that make the growth path less resource demanding and social reforms that enhance income security and improve education and health care for disadvantaged population groups.
|Date of creation:||04 Dec 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Research Institute of Industrial Economics, Box 55665, SE-102 15 Stockholm, Sweden|
Phone: +46 8 665 4500
Fax: +46 8 665 4599
Web page: http://www.ifn.se/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jakob Svensson, 2005. "Eight Questions about Corruption," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 19(3), pages 19-42, Summer.
- Xiaobo Zhang & Ravi Kanbur, 2004.
"Spatial Inequality in Education and Health Care in China,"
159, Institute for Social and Economic Change, Bangalore.
- Zhang, Xiaobo & Kanbur, Ravi, 2005. "Spatial inequality in education and health care in China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 189-204.
- Kanbur, Ravi & Zhang, Xiaobo, 2003. "Spatial Inequality in Education and Health Care in China," CEPR Discussion Papers 4136, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Zhang, Xiaobo & Kanbur, Ravi, 2003. "Spatial Inequality In Education And Health Care In China," Working Papers 127256, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Ravallion, Martin & Chen, Shaohua, 2007.
"China's (uneven) progress against poverty,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 1-42, January.
- Olivier Blanchard & Francesco Giavazzi, 2006.
"Rebalancing Growth in China: A Three-Handed Approach,"
China & World Economy,
Institute of World Economics and Politics, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, vol. 14(4), pages 1-20.
- Blanchard, Olivier J & Giavazzi, Francesco, 2006. "Rebalancing Growth in China: A Three-Handed Approach," CEPR Discussion Papers 5403, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Victor Brajer & Robert W. Mead, 2004. "Valuing Air Pollution Mortality in China's Cities," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 41(8), pages 1567-1585, July.
- Margaret Maurer-Fazio & Ngan Dinh, 2004.
"Differential rewards to, and contributions of, education in urban China's segmented labor markets,"
Pacific Economic Review,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 173-189, October.
- Margaret Maurer-Fazio & Ngan Dinh, 2002. "Differential Rewards to, and Contributions of, Education in Urban China’s Segmented Labor Markets," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 508, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Zhang, Anming & Zhang, Yimin & Zhao, Ronald, 2003. "A study of the R&D efficiency and productivity of Chinese firms," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 444-464, September.
- Jyotsna Jalan & Martin Ravallion, 1998. "Geographic Poverty Traps?," Boston University - Institute for Economic Development 86, Boston University, Institute for Economic Development.
- A. P. Lerner, 1934. "Economic Theory and Socialist Economy," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 2(1), pages 51-61.
- Heckman, James J., 2005. "China's human capital investment," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 50-70.
- John Whalley & Shunming Zhang, 2004. "Inequality Change in China and (Hukou) Labour Mobility Restrictions," NBER Working Papers 10683, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fleisher, Belton M. & Wang, Xiaojun, 2004. "Skill differentials, return to schooling, and market segmentation in a transition economy: the case of Mainland China," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 315-328, February.
- Zhang, Xiaobo, 2006. "Asymmetric property rights in China's economic growth:," DSGD discussion papers 28, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Lindbeck, Assar, 2006.
"An Essay on Economic Reforms and Social Change in China,"
Working Paper Series
681, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Lindbeck, Assar, 2006. "An essay on economic reforms and social change in China," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4057, The World Bank.
- Guang Wan & Enjiang Cheng, 2001. "Effects of land fragmentation and returns to scale in the Chinese farming sector," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(2), pages 183-194.
- Assar Lindbeck & Sten Nyberg & Jörgen W. Weibull, 1999.
"Social Norms and Economic Incentives in the Welfare State,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 114(1), pages 1-35.
- Lindbeck, Assar & Nyberg, Sten & Weibull, Jörgen W., 1997. "Social Norms and Economic Incentives in the Welfare State," Working Paper Series 476, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Morris Goldstein & Nicholas R. Lardy, 2004. "What Kind of Landing for the Chinese Economy?," Policy Briefs PB04-07, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Chow, Gregory C, 1997. "Challenges of China's Economic System for Economic Theory," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(2), pages 321-27, May.
- John Whalley & Xian Xin, 2006.
"China's FDI and Non-FDI Economies and the Sustainability of Future High Chinese Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
12249, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- WHALLEY, John & XIN, Xian, 2010. "China's FDI and non-FDI economies and the sustainability of future high Chinese growth," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 123-135, March.
- Harm Zebregs & Wanda Tseng, 2002. "Foreign Direct Investment in China; Some Lessons for Other Countries," IMF Policy Discussion Papers 02/3, International Monetary Fund.
- Hua Wang & Jun Bi & Wheeler, David & Jinnan Wang & Dong Cao & Genfa Lu & Yuan Wang, 2002. "Environmental performance rating and disclosure - China's green-watch program," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2889, The World Bank.
- Wendy Dobson, 2007. "Financial reforms in China and India: A comparative analysis," Working Papers Series 09, Rotman Institute for International Business, Joseph L. Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto.
- Lixin Colin Xu & Tian Zhu & Yi-min Lin, 2005. "Politician control, agency problems and ownership reform," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 13(1), pages 1-24, 01.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:iuiwop:0680. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elisabeth Gustafsson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.