Social Interactions At The Workplace: Exploring Sickness Absence Behavior
We investigate whether a worker’s sickness absence is affected by her colleagues’ absences from the workplace. The analysis is based on unique matched employer-employee data for Norwegian schoolteachers for the period 2001 to 2006 with information on different types of absences and multiple teacher and school characteristics. Using different approaches where methodological problems such as the reflection problem and intra-group correlation are mitigated, we look for evidence of social interaction effects. Our results show that the significance of the social interaction effects critically depends on our ability to control for unobserved school characteristics.
|Date of creation:||24 Aug 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Institutt for økonomi, Universitetet i Bergen, Postboks 7802, 5020 Bergen, Norway|
Web page: http://www.uib.no/econ/en
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Assar Lindbeck & Sten Nyberg & Jörgen W. Weibull, 1999. "Social Norms and Economic Incentives in the Welfare State," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 114(1), pages 1-35.
- Mas, Alexandre & Moretti, Enrico, 2006.
"Peers at Work,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2292, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bandiera, Oriana & Barankay, Iwan & Rasul, Imran, 2009.
"Social Incentives in the Workplace,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4190, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bryan S. Graham, 2008. "Identifying Social Interactions Through Conditional Variance Restrictions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 76(3), pages 643-660, 05.
- Kandel, E. & Lazear, E.P., 1990.
"Peer Pressure and Partnerships,"
90-07, Rochester, Business - Managerial Economics Research Center.
- Hesselius, Patrik & Johansson, Per & Nilsson, Peter, 2009.
"Sick of your colleagues' absence?,"
Working Paper Series
2009:2, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Olof Åslund & Peter Fredriksson, 2009. "Peer Effects in Welfare Dependence: Quasi-Experimental Evidence," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 44(3).
- Patrik Hesselius, 2009. "Is Leisure Contagious? The Relationship Between Sickness Absence And Spousal Retirement," National Institute Economic Review, National Institute of Economic and Social Research, vol. 209(1), pages 104-115, July.
- Brock, William A. & Durlauf, Steven N., 2001.
Handbook of Econometrics,
in: J.J. Heckman & E.E. Leamer (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 5, chapter 54, pages 3297-3380
- Kato, Takao & Shu, Pian, 2008. "Performance Spillovers and Social Network in the Workplace: Evidence from Rural and Urban Weavers in a Chinese Textile Firm," IZA Discussion Papers 3340, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Charles F. Manski, 2000.
"Economic Analysis of Social Interactions,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 14(3), pages 115-136, Summer.
- Charles F. Manski, 1993. "Identification of Endogenous Social Effects: The Reflection Problem," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 60(3), pages 531-542.
- Markussen, Simen & Røed, Knut, 2012. "Social Insurance Networks," IZA Discussion Papers 6446, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bradley, Steve & Green, Colin & Leeves, Gareth, 2007. "Worker absence and shirking: Evidence from matched teacher-school data," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 319-334, June.
- Lawrence E. Blume & William A. Brock & Steven N. Durlauf & Yannis M. Ioannides, 2010.
"Identification of Social Interactions,"
Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University
0754, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Lindbeck, Assar & Palme, Mårten & Persson, Mats, 2007.
"Social Interaction and Sickness Absence,"
Working Paper Series
725, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Lindbeck, Assar & Palme, Mårten & Persson, Mats, 2009. "Social Interaction and Sickness Absence," Research Papers in Economics 2009:4, Stockholm University, Department of Economics.
- Assar Lindbeck & Marten Palme & Mats Persson, 2008. "Social Interaction and Sickness Absence," CESifo Working Paper Series 2215, CESifo Group Munich.
- Treble,John & Barmby,Tim, 2011. "Worker Absenteeism and Sick Pay," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521806954, 1.
- Oriana Bandiera & Iwan Barankay & Imran Rasul, 2005.
"Social Preferences and the Response to Incentives: Evidence from Personnel Data,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 120(3), pages 917-962.
- Imran Rasul & Iwan Barankay & Orana Bandiera, 2005. "Social preferences and the response to incentives: Evidence from personnel data," Natural Field Experiments 00212, The Field Experiments Website.
- Rotemberg, Julio J, 1994. "Human Relations in the Workplace," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(4), pages 684-717, August.
- Adriaan R. Soetevent, 2006. "Empirics of the Identification of Social Interactions; An Evaluation of the Approaches and Their Results ," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(2), pages 193-228, 04.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:bergec:2012_011. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kjell Erik Lommerud)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.