Forecasting the Brazilian Real and the Mexican Peso: Asymmetric Loss, Forecast Rationality, and Forecaster Herding
Using forecasts of the Brazilian real and the Mexican peso, we analyze the shape of the loss function of exchange-rate forecasters and the rationality of their forecasts. We find a substantial degree of cross-sectional heterogeneity with respect to the shape of the loss function. While some forecasters seem to forecasts under an asymmetric loss function, symmetry of the loss function cannot be rejected for other forecasters. An asymmetric loss function does not necessarily make survey data of exchange-rate forecasts look rational, and the loss function seems to depend not only on the forecast error.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.wiso.uni-hamburg.de/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jörg Döpke & Ulrich Fritsche & Boriss Siliverstovs, 2009.
"Evaluating German Business Cycle Forecasts Under an Asymmetric Loss Function,"
KOF Working papers
09-237, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Jörg Döpke & Ulrich Fritsche & Boriss Siliverstovs, 2010. "Evaluating German business cycle forecasts under an asymmetric loss function," OECD Journal: Journal of Business Cycle Measurement and Analysis, OECD Publishing,Centre for International Research on Economic Tendency Surveys, vol. 2010(1), pages 1-18.
- Joerg Doepke & Ulrich Fritsche & Boriss Siliverstovs, 2009. "Evaluating German Business Cycle Forecasts Under an Asymmetric Loss Function," Macroeconomics and Finance Series 200905, Hamburg University, Department Wirtschaft und Politik.
- MacDonald, Ronald, 2000. " Expectations Formation and Risk in Three Financial Markets: Surveying What the Surveys Say," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(1), pages 69-100, February.
- Patton, Andrew J. & Timmermann, Allan, 2007.
"Properties of optimal forecasts under asymmetric loss and nonlinearity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 140(2), pages 884-918, October.
- Allan Timmermann & Andrew Patton, 2004. "Properties of Optimal Forecasts under Asymmetric Loss and Nonlinearity," Working Papers wp04-05, Warwick Business School, Finance Group.
- Peter F. Christoffersen & Francis X. Diebold, .
"Optimal Prediction Under Asymmetric Loss,"
CARESS Working Papres
97-20, University of Pennsylvania Center for Analytic Research and Economics in the Social Sciences.
- Christoffersen & Diebold, . "Optimal Prediction Under Asymmetric Loss," Home Pages 167, 1996., University of Pennsylvania.
- Peter F. Christoffersen & Francis X. Diebold, 1997. "Optimal prediction under asymmetric loss," Working Papers 97-11, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Peter F. Christoffersen & Francis X. Diebold, 1994. "Optimal Prediction Under Asymmetric Loss," NBER Technical Working Papers 0167, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sophie Larribeau & A. Benassy-Quéré & R. Macdonald, 2003.
"Models of exchange rate expectations : how much heterogeneity ?,"
- Benassy-Quere, Agnes & Larribeau, Sophie & MacDonald, Ronald, 2003. "Models of exchange rate expectations: how much heterogeneity?," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 113-136, April.
- Dufour, J.M., 1979.
"Rank Tests for Serial Dependence,"
Cahiers de recherche
7815, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Christian Pierdzioch & Jan-Christoph Rülke & Georg Stadtmann, 2012. "Exchange-rate forecasts and asymmetric loss: empirical evidence for the yen/dollar exchange rate," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(18), pages 1759-1763, December.
- G. A. Christodoulakis & E. C. Mamatzakis, 2009. "Assessing the prudence of economic forecasts in the EU," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(4), pages 583-606.
- David Laster & Paul Bennett & In Sun Geoum, 1999. "Rational Bias in Macroeconomic Forecasts," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 114(1), pages 293-318.
- George Christodoulakis & Emmanuel Mamatzakis, 2008. "Asymmetries in the sport-forward G10 exchange rates: an answer to an old puzzle?," Discussion Paper Series 2008_12, Department of Economics, University of Macedonia, revised Sep 2008.
- Meese, Richard A. & Rogoff, Kenneth, 1983. "Empirical exchange rate models of the seventies : Do they fit out of sample?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1-2), pages 3-24, February.
- Dan Bernhardt & Murillo Campbello & Edward Kutsoati, 2002.
Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University
0213, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hep:macppr:201202. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ulrich Fritsche)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.