Blessing or Curse? Appreciation, Amenities and Resistance around the Berlin "Mediaspree"
This article investigates the 2008 referendum held in opposition against the "Mediaspree", a major urban development project in Berlin that has been perceived as a threat of displacement of local residents and culture. Using precinct level data we find a high degree of localized resistance around the project area, conditional on socio-demographic characteristics. Comparison to local appreciation rates shows that in an environment of very low owner occupancy public (re)development projects are opposed the more residents associate an increase in area valuation. This effects is, however, not strong enough to explain the localized resistance. Considering a micro-level data set on music nodes, our results suggest that resistance is rather attributable to a feared loss of specific cultural amenities and neighborhood character.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Hamburg Contemporary Economic Discussions, Issue 32, 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 (0)40 / 4123-1
Fax: 49 (0)40 / 4123-6322
Web page: http://www.hced.uni-hamburg.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Melanie Arntz & Ralf A. Wilke, 2007. "An application of cartographic area interpolation to German administrative data," AStA Advances in Statistical Analysis, Springer, vol. 91(2), pages 159-180, August.
- Michael Lokshin, 2006. "Difference-based semiparametric estimation of partial linear regression models," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 6(3), pages 377-383, September.
- Brunner, Eric & Sonstelie, Jon & Thayer, Mark, 2001. "Capitalization and the Voucher: An Analysis of Precinct Returns from California's Proposition 174," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 517-536, November.
- Terra McKinnish & Randall Walsh & Kirk White, 2008.
"Who Gentrifies Low-Income Neighborhoods?,"
NBER Working Papers
14036, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Terra McKinnish & Randall Walsh & T. Kirk White, 2008. "Who Gentrifies Low Income Neighborhoods?," Working Papers 08-02, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- McKinnish, Terra & Walsh, Randall & White, T. Kirk, 2007. "Who Gentrifies Low-income Neighborhoods?," MPRA Paper 6671, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Nov 2007.
- Christian A. L. Hilber & Christopher J. Mayer, 2004. "Why Do Households Without Children Support Local Public Schools?," NBER Working Papers 10804, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jan K. Brueckner & Stuart S. Rosenthal, 2009.
"Gentrification and Neighborhood Housing Cycles: Will America's Future Downtowns Be Rich?,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 91(4), pages 725-743, November.
- Jan K. Brueckner & Stuart S. Rosenthal, 2005. "Gentrification and Neighborhood Housing Cycles: Will America's Future Downtowns be Rich?," CESifo Working Paper Series 1579, CESifo Group Munich.
- Jan K. Brueckner & Stuart S. Rosenthal, 2005. "Gentrification and Neighborhood Housing Cycles: Will America’s Future Downtowns Be Rich?," Working Papers 050611, University of California-Irvine, Department of Economics.
- Charles M. Tiebout, 1956. "A Pure Theory of Local Expenditures," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 64, pages 416.
- Douglas Noonan, 2003. "Contingent Valuation and Cultural Resources: A Meta-Analytic Review of the Literature," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 27(3), pages 159-176, November.
- Waldfogel, Joel, 2008. "The median voter and the median consumer: Local private goods and population composition," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 567-582, March.
- Dehring, Carolyn A. & Depken II, Craig A. & Ward, Michael R., 2008.
"A direct test of the homevoter hypothesis,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 155-170, July.
- Robert L. Hicks & Bonnie M. Queen, 2007. "Valuing Historical and Cultural Amenities with Hedonic Property Valuation Models," CRE Working Papers (Documents de treball del CRE) 2007/05, Centre de Recerca Econòmica (UIB ·"Sa Nostra"), revised Jan 2007.
- Murphy, Kevin M & Topel, Robert H, 1985.
"Estimation and Inference in Two-Step Econometric Models,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 3(4), pages 370-79, October.
- Murphy, Kevin M & Topel, Robert H, 2002. "Estimation and Inference in Two-Step Econometric Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 88-97, January.
- LeRoy, Stephen F. & Sonstelie, Jon, 1983. "Paradise lost and regained: Transportation innovation, income, and residential location," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 67-89, January.
- N. Edward Coulson & Michael L. Lahr, 2005. "Gracing the Land of Elvis and Beale Street: Historic Designation and Property Values in Memphis," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 33(3), pages 487-507, 09.
- Gabriel M. Ahlfeldt & Wolfgang Maennig, 2010. "Substitutability and Complementarity of Urban Amenities: External Effects of Built Heritage in Berlin," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 38(2), pages 285-323.
- Rowland Atkinson, 2004. "The evidence on the impact of gentrification: new lessons for the urban renaissance?," International Journal of Housing Policy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(1), pages 107-131.
- Rowland Atkinson, 2004. "The evidence on the impact of gentrification: new lessons for the urban renaissance?," European Journal of Housing Policy, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 4(1), pages 107-131, January.
- Coates, Dennis & Humphreys, Brad R., 2006. "Proximity benefits and voting on stadium and arena subsidies," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 285-299, March.
- Schulze, Gunther G & Ursprung, Heinrich W, 2000. " La donna e mobile--Or Is She? Voter Preferences and Public Support for the Performing Arts," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 102(1-2), pages 131-49, January.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- H. Gibbs Knotts & Moshe Haspel, 2006. "The Impact of Gentrification on Voter Turnout," Social Science Quarterly, Southwestern Social Science Association, vol. 87(1), pages 110-121.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hce:wpaper:032. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gabriel Ahlfeldt)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.