The régulation of transborder network services
Integration and reinforcement of network infrastructure for transport, energy and water is a key component in the European policy framework for market competitiveness. However, in spite of considerable analysis and community co-funding since 1995, actual implementation progress for the 90 priority projects in the Transeuropean Energy Networks programme has been meager.The estimated network investment need of 40,000 M euro (2003-2013) is challenging the current heterogenous institutional mix of European network operators, regulators and the role of the commission. This paper presents an analytic framework for the network investment problem under decentralized control in both regulation, infrastructure ownership and management. Our results on the underinvestment problem from regulatory competition and non-coordination provide insights into the policy relevant topic of common infrastructure investment under varying budget balancing constraints and management objectives. From an economic policy viewpoint, the paper is tangential to the more general discussion on regulatory centralization vs. subsidiarity in the European Union.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00243022|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ken Hendricks & Michele Piccione & Guofu Tan, 1997. "Entry and Exit in Hub-Spoke Networks," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 28(2), pages 291-303, Summer.
- BASSANINI, Anna & POUYET, Jérôme, 2002.
"Strategic choice of financing systems in regulated and interconnected industries,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2002017, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Bassanini, Anna & Pouyet, Jerome, 2005. "Strategic choice of financing systems in regulated and interconnected industries," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(2-3), pages 233-259, February.
- Anna Bassanini & Jérôme Pouyet, 2004. "Strategic Choice of Financing Systems in Regulated and Interconnected Industries," Working Papers 2004-08, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Bassanini, Anna & Pouyet, Jérôme, 2003. "Strategic Choice of Financing Systems in Regulated and Interconnected Industries," CEPR Discussion Papers 3888, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ming Chang, 1996. "Ramsey pricing in a hierarchical structure with an application to network-access pricing," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 64(3), pages 281-314, October.
- Armstrong, Mark, 2001. "The theory of access pricing and interconnection," MPRA Paper 15608, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dixit, Avinash K, 1986. "Comparative Statics for Oligopoly," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 27(1), pages 107-22, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:wpaper:hal-00243022. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.