The Regulation of Transborder Network Services
Integration and reinforcement of network infrastructure for transport, energy and water is akey component in the European policy framework for market competitiveness. However, inspite of considerable analysis and community co-funding since 1995, actual implementationprogress for the 90 priority projects in the Transeuropean Energy Networks programme hasbeen meager. The estimated network investment need of 40,000 M euro (2003-2013) ischallenging the current heterogenous institutional mix of European network operators,regulators and the role of the commission. This paper presents an analytic framework for thenetwork investment problem under decentralized control in both regulation, infrastructureownership and management. Our results on the underinvestment problem from regulatorycompetition and non-coordination provide insights into the policy relevant topic of commoninfrastructure investment under varying budget balancing constraints and managementobjectives. From an economic policy viewpoint, the paper is tangential to the more generaldiscussion on regulatory centralization vs. subsidiarity in the European Union.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 15 Boulevard Gabriel Peri 92245 Malakoff Cedex|
Phone: 01 41 17 60 81
Web page: http://www.crest.fr
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bassanini, Anna & Pouyet, Jerome, 2005.
"Strategic choice of financing systems in regulated and interconnected industries,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 89(2-3), pages 233-259, February.
- BASSANINI, Anna & POUYET, Jérôme, 2002. "Strategic choice of financing systems in regulated and interconnected industries," CORE Discussion Papers 2002017, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Bassanini, Anna & Pouyet, Jérôme, 2003. "Strategic Choice of Financing Systems in Regulated and Interconnected Industries," CEPR Discussion Papers 3888, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Anna Bassanini & Jérôme Pouyet, 2004. "Strategic Choice of Financing Systems in Regulated and Interconnected Industries," Working Papers 2004-08, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Ken Hendricks & Michele Piccione & Guofu Tan, 1997. "Entry and Exit in Hub-Spoke Networks," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 28(2), pages 291-303, Summer.
- Dixit, Avinash K, 1986. "Comparative Statics for Oligopoly," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 27(1), pages 107-122, February.
- Armstrong, Mark, 2001. "The theory of access pricing and interconnection," MPRA Paper 15608, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ming Chang, 1996. "Ramsey pricing in a hierarchical structure with an application to network-access pricing," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 64(3), pages 281-314, October. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)