Competition and Industry Structure for International Rail Transportation
This paper investigates various options for the organization of the railway industry when network operators require the access to multiple national networks to provide international (freight or passenger) transport services. The EU rail system provides a framework for our analysis. Returns-to-scale and the intensity of competition are key to understanding the impact of vertical integration or separation between infrastructure and operation services within each country in the presence of international transport services. We also consider an option in which a transnational infrastructure manager is in charge of offering a coordinated access to the national networks. In our model, it turns out to be an optimal industry structure.
|Date of creation:||18 Jul 2011|
|Date of revision:||07 Jun 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Manufacture des Tabacs, Aile Jean-Jacques Laffont, 21 Allée de Brienne, 31000 TOULOUSE|
Phone: +33 (0)5 61 12 85 89
Fax: + 33 (0)5 61 12 86 37
Web page: http://www.idei.fr/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bassanini, Anna & Pouyet, Jérôme, 2003.
"Strategic Choice of Financing Systems in Regulated and Interconnected Industries,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3888, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bassanini, Anna & Pouyet, Jerome, 2005. "Strategic choice of financing systems in regulated and interconnected industries," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(2-3), pages 233-259, February.
- Anna Bassanini & Jérôme Pouyet, 2004. "Strategic Choice of Financing Systems in Regulated and Interconnected Industries," Working Papers 2004-08, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- BASSANINI, Anna & POUYET, Jérôme, 2002. "Strategic choice of financing systems in regulated and interconnected industries," CORE Discussion Papers 2002017, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Ivaldi Marc & Mccullough Gerard, 2008.
"Subadditivity Tests for Network Separation with an Application to U.S. Railroads,"
Review of Network Economics,
De Gruyter, vol. 7(1), pages 1-13, March.
- Ivaldi, Marc & McCullough, Gerard, 2004. "Subadditivity Tests for Network Separation with an Application to US Railroads," CEPR Discussion Papers 4392, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Per Agrell & Jérôme Pouyet, 2005.
"The régulation of transborder network services,"
- Ivaldi, M & McCullough, G J, 2001.
"Density and Integration Effects on Class I U.S. Freight Railroads,"
Journal of Regulatory Economics,
Springer, vol. 19(2), pages 161-182, March.
- Ivaldi, M. & McCullough, G., 1999. "Density and Integration Effects on Class I U.S. Freight Railroads," Papers 99.526, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- Ivaldi, Marc & Mccullough, Gerard, 1999. "Density and Integration Effects on Class I U.S. Freight Railroads," IDEI Working Papers 93, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ide:wpaper:24795. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.