The dynamics of a differentiated duopoly with quantity competition
We analyse the dynamics of a Cournot duopoly with heterogeneous players to investigate the effects of micro-founded differentiated products demand on stability. The present study, which indeed modifies and extends Zhang et al. (2007) (Zhang, J., Da, Q., Wang, Y., 2007. Analysis of nonlinear duopoly game with heterogeneous players. Economic Modelling 24, 138–148) and Tramontana, F., (2010) (Tramontana, F., 2010. Heterogeneous duopoly with isoelastic demand function. Economic Modelling 27, 350–357), reveals that a higher degree of product differentiation may destabilise the market equilibrium. Moreover, we show that a cascade of flip bifurcations may lead to periodic cycles and ultimately chaotic behaviours. Since a higher degree of product differentiation implies weaker competition, then a theoretical implication of our findings, that also constitute a policy warning, is that a fiercer (weaker) competition tends to stabilise (destabilise) the unique positive Cournot–Nash equilibrium.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tramontana, Fabio, 2010. "Heterogeneous duopoly with isoelastic demand function," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 350-357, January.
- Qiu, Larry D., 1997. "On the Dynamic Efficiency of Bertrand and Cournot Equilibria," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 75(1), pages 213-229, July.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521484619 is not listed on IDEAS
- Anna Agliari & Laura Gardini & Tonu Puu, 2006. "Global Bifurcations In Duopoly When The Cournot Point Is Destabilized Via A Subcritical Neimark Bifurcation," International Game Theory Review (IGTR), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 8(01), pages 1-20.
- Dixit, Avinash K, 1986. "Comparative Statics for Oligopoly," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 27(1), pages 107-22, February.
- Ghosh, Arghya & Mitra, Manipushpak, 2010. "Comparing Bertrand and Cournot in mixed markets," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 109(2), pages 72-74, November.
- Agliari, Anna & Gardini, Laura & Puu, Tönu, 2005. "Some global bifurcations related to the appearance of closed invariant curves," Mathematics and Computers in Simulation (MATCOM), Elsevier, vol. 68(3), pages 201-219.
- Bischi, Gian Italo & Kopel, Michael, 2001. "Equilibrium selection in a nonlinear duopoly game with adaptive expectations," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 73-100, September.
- Agiza, H.N. & Elsadany, A.A., 2003. "Nonlinear dynamics in the Cournot duopoly game with heterogeneous players," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 320(C), pages 512-524.
- Luciano Fanti & Nicola Meccheri, 2011.
"The Cournot-Bertrand profit differential in a differentiated duopoly with unions and labour decreasing returns,"
AccessEcon, vol. 31(1), pages 233-244.
- Luciano Fanti & Nicola Meccheri, 2010. "The Cournot-Bertrand Profit Differential in a Differentiated Duopoly with Unions and Labour Decreasing Returns," Working Paper Series 36_10, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Luciano Fanti & Nicola Meccheri, 2010. "The Cournot-Bertrand profit differential in a differentiated duopoly with unions and labour decreasing returns," Discussion Papers 2010/107, Dipartimento di Economia e Management (DEM), University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy.
- Zhang, Jixiang & Da, Qingli & Wang, Yanhua, 2007. "Analysis of nonlinear duopoly game with heterogeneous players," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 138-148, January.
- Häckner, Jonas, 1999.
"A Note on Price and Quantity Competition in Differentiated Oligopolies,"
Research Papers in Economics
1999:9, Stockholm University, Department of Economics.
- Hackner, Jonas, 2000. "A Note on Price and Quantity Competition in Differentiated Oligopolies," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 93(2), pages 233-239, August.
- Den Haan, Wouter J., 2001.
"The importance of the number of different agents in a heterogeneous asset-pricing model,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 721-746, May.
- Wouter J. Denhaan, 2000. "The Importance Of The Number Of Different Agents In A Heterogeneous Asset-Pricing Model," Computing in Economics and Finance 2000 349, Society for Computational Economics.
- Huang, Weihong, 2008. "The long-run benefits of chaos to oligopolistic firms," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 1332-1355, April.
- Agiza, H.N. & Hegazi, A.S. & Elsadany, A.A., 2002. "Complex dynamics and synchronization of a duopoly game with bounded rationality," Mathematics and Computers in Simulation (MATCOM), Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 133-146.
- Lopez, Monica Correa & Naylor, Robin A., 2004. "The Cournot-Bertrand profit differential: A reversal result in a differentiated duopoly with wage bargaining," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 681-696, June.
- Nirvikar Singh & Xavier Vives, 1984. "Price and Quantity Competition in a Differentiated Duopoly," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 15(4), pages 546-554, Winter.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecmode:v:29:y:2012:i:2:p:421-427. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.