The dynamics of a Bertrand duopoly with differentiated products and bounded rational firms revisited
We revisit the study of the dynamics of a duopoly game à la Bertrand with horizontal product differentiation and bounded rational firms analysed by Zhang et al. (2009), (Zhang, J., Da, Q., Wang, Y., 2009. The dynamics of Bertrand model with bounded rationality. Chaos, Solitons and Fractals 39, 2048–2055), by introducing sound microeconomic foundations. We study how an increase in the relative degree of product differentiation affects the stability of the unique positive Bertrand-Nash equilibrium, in the case of both linear and non-linear costs. We show that an increase in either the degree of substitutability or complementarity between goods of different variety may destabilise the equilibrium of the two-dimensional system through a period-doubling bifurcation. Moreover, by using numerical simulations (i.e., phase portraits, sensitive dependence on initial conditions and Lyapunov exponents), we find that a “quasi-periodic” route to chaos and a large gamma of strange attractors for the cases of both substitutability and complementarity can occur.
|Date of creation:||09 Sep 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Qiu, Larry D., 1997. "On the Dynamic Efficiency of Bertrand and Cournot Equilibria," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 75(1), pages 213-229, July.
- Lopez, Monica Correa & Naylor, Robin A., 2004. "The Cournot-Bertrand profit differential: A reversal result in a differentiated duopoly with wage bargaining," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 681-696, June.
- Bischi, Gian-Italo & Stefanini, Luciano & Gardini, Laura, 1998. "Synchronization, intermittency and critical curves in a duopoly game," Mathematics and Computers in Simulation (MATCOM), Elsevier, vol. 44(6), pages 559-585.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521484619 is not listed on IDEAS
- Tramontana, Fabio, 2010. "Heterogeneous duopoly with isoelastic demand function," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 350-357, January.
- Luciano Fanti & Nicola Meccheri, 2011.
"The Cournot-Bertrand profit differential in a differentiated duopoly with unions and labour decreasing returns,"
AccessEcon, vol. 31(1), pages 233-244.
- Luciano Fanti & Nicola Meccheri, 2010. "The Cournot-Bertrand profit differential in a differentiated duopoly with unions and labour decreasing returns," Discussion Papers 2010/107, Dipartimento di Economia e Management (DEM), University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy.
- Luciano Fanti & Nicola Meccheri, 2010. "The Cournot-Bertrand Profit Differential in a Differentiated Duopoly with Unions and Labour Decreasing Returns," Working Paper Series 36_10, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Ghosh, Arghya & Mitra, Manipushpak, 2010. "Comparing Bertrand and Cournot in mixed markets," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 109(2), pages 72-74, November.
- Agiza, H.N. & Elsadany, A.A., 2003. "Nonlinear dynamics in the Cournot duopoly game with heterogeneous players," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 320(C), pages 512-524.
- Dixit, Avinash K, 1986. "Comparative Statics for Oligopoly," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 27(1), pages 107-22, February.
- Hackner, Jonas, 2000.
"A Note on Price and Quantity Competition in Differentiated Oligopolies,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 93(2), pages 233-239, August.
- Häckner, Jonas, 1999. "A Note on Price and Quantity Competition in Differentiated Oligopolies," Research Papers in Economics 1999:9, Stockholm University, Department of Economics.
- Zhang, Jixiang & Da, Qingli & Wang, Yanhua, 2007. "Analysis of nonlinear duopoly game with heterogeneous players," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 138-148, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:33268. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.