Financialized capitalism and the irrelevance of self-regulation : a Minskyian analysis of systemic viability
Approaches that support the process of financial liberalization usually assume that free markets can ensure systemic adjustment in case of disequilibria without structural public interventions, and self-regulation mechanisms are more efficient than any collective regulatory mechanism. This article seeks to assess the irrelevance of these critical assumptions with regard to systemic viability in capitalist economies. These assumptions and related (de)regulatory (de)structural reforms implemented in the last decades reveal to be inconsistent with the characteristics of capitalist economies in light of the 2007-08 crisis. In the footsteps of Hyman Minsky, it maintains that financial instability and crises are endogenous phenomena in a capitalist economy and imply tight state intervention. It then argues that financial stability is a public matter and in order to reach societal efficiency and systemic viability, it is necessary to carry out a public organization of markets according to social/collective objectives beyond macroprudential regulatory mechanisms.
|Date of creation:||25 Sep 2014|
|Publication status:||Published in 12th international Post Keynesian conference, Sep 2014, Kansas City, United States. 2 th international Post Keynesian conference 24 p|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-01111162|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Faruk Ülgen, 2014.
"How to Guide the Economy in a Socially Desirable Direction: Lessons from the 2007 Financial Turmoil,"
Journal of Economic Issues,
M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 48(2), pages 575-584, June.
- Faruk Ülgen, 2014. "How to guide the economy in a socially desirable direction ? Lessons from the 2007 financial turmoil," Post-Print halshs-01089365, HAL.
- Jan Kregel, 2010. "Is This the Minsky Moment for Reform of Financial Regulation?," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_586, Levy Economics Institute.
- Barth,James R. & Caprio,Gerard & Levine,Ross, 2008. "Rethinking Bank Regulation," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521709309, October.
- Barth,James R. & Caprio,Gerard & Levine,Ross, 2006. "Rethinking Bank Regulation," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521855761, October.
- Faruk Ülgen, 2014. "How to guide the economy towards socially desirable directions ? Some institutional lessons from the 2007 financial turmoil," Post-Print halshs-00957598, HAL.
- Faruk Ülgen, 2011. "Régulation monétaire et financière et viabilité des économies de marché," Post-Print halshs-00844357, HAL.
- Faruk Ülgen, 2013. "Institutions and Liberalized Finance: Is Financial Stability of Capitalism a Pipedream?," Journal of Economic Issues, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 47(2), pages 495-504, June.
- Faruk Ülgen, 2013. "Institutions and liberalized finance : is financial stability of capitalism a pipedream ?," Post-Print halshs-00840024, HAL.
- James Crotty, 2009. "Structural causes of the global financial crisis: a critical assessment of the 'new financial architecture'," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 33(4), pages 563-580, July.
- James Crotty, 2008. "Structural Causes of the Global Financial Crisis: A Critical Assessment of the ‘New Financial Architecture’," Working Papers wp180, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
- James Crotty, 2008. "Structural Causes of the Global Financial Crisis: A Critical Assessment of the ‘New Financial Architecture’," UMASS Amherst Economics Working Papers 2008-14, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Department of Economics.
- Ülgen, Faruk, 2014. "Schumpeterian economic development and financial innovations: a conflicting evolution," Journal of Institutional Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(02), pages 257-277, June.
- Faruk Ülgen, 2014. "Schumpeterian economic development and financial innovations : a conflicting evolution," Post-Print halshs-00948288, HAL.
- Amadou N.R. Sy, 2009. "The Systemic Regulation of Credit Rating Agencies and Rated Markets," World Economics, World Economics, Economic & Financial Publishing, 1 Ivory Square, Plantation Wharf, London, United Kingdom, SW11 3UE, vol. 10(4), pages 69-108, October.
- Amadou N Sy, 2009. "The Systemic Regulation of Credit Rating Agencies and Rated Markets," IMF Working Papers 09/129, .
- Philip Arestis, 2009. "New Consensus Macroeconomics: A Critical Appraisal," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_564, Levy Economics Institute. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:halshs-01111162. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.