Evaluating a Vector of the Fed's Forecasts
In this paper we present a multivariate analysis of the Federal Reserve’s forecasts. First, we evaluate the Fed’s forecasts of the ten major expenditure categories of real GDP. Second, we present a new methodology for evaluating multivariate forecasts. Finally, we use the same methodology to determine whether the Fed’s forecasts of GDP growth, inflation, and unemployment taken together present an accurate overall view of the economic situation and compare the Fed’s forecasts to those of the Survey of Professional Forecasters. We find that the Fed’s forecasts were generally consistent with the overall conditions that actually occurred. We also find that the Fed’s forecasts and those of the Survey of Professional Forecasters are quite similar overall.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.gwu.edu/~iiep/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sinclair, Tara M. & Joutz, Fred & Stekler, H.O., 2010.
"Can the Fed predict the state of the economy?,"
Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 28-32, July.
- Tara Sinclair & Frederick L. Joutz, 2009. "Can the Fed Predict the State of the Economy?," Working Papers 2008-06, The George Washington University, Institute for International Economic Policy.
- Tara M. Sinclair & Fred Joutz & Herman O. Stekler, 2009. "Can the Fed Predict the State of the Economy?," Working Papers 2009-001, The George Washington University, Department of Economics, Research Program on Forecasting, revised Mar 2010.
- David H. Romer & Christina D. Romer, 2000. "Federal Reserve Information and the Behavior of Interest Rates," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(3), pages 429-457, June.
- Tara M. Sinclair & H.O. Stekler, 2011.
"Examining the Quality of Early GDP Component Estimates,"
2011-001, The George Washington University, Department of Economics, Research Program on Forecasting, revised Dec 2011.
- Sinclair, Tara M. & Stekler, H.O., 2013. "Examining the quality of early GDP component estimates," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 736-750.
- Sinclair, Tara M. & Gamber, Edward N. & Stekler, Herman & Reid, Elizabeth, 2012.
"Jointly evaluating the Federal Reserve’s forecasts of GDP growth and inflation,"
International Journal of Forecasting,
Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 309-314.
- Tara M. Sinclair & Edward N. Gamber & H.O. Stekler & Elizabeth Reid, 2008. "Jointly Evaluating the Federal Reserve’s Forecasts of GDP Growth and Inflation," Working Papers 2008-002, The George Washington University, Department of Economics, Research Program on Forecasting, revised Mar 2011.
- Joutz, Fred & Stekler, H. O., 2000. "An evaluation of the predictions of the Federal Reserve," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 17-38.
- Jordà, Òscar & Knüppel, Malte & Marcellino, Massimiliano, 2010.
"Empirical simultaneous confidence regions for path-forecasts,"
Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies
2010,06, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Jordà, Òscar & Knüppel, Malte & Marcellino, Massimiliano, 2010. "Empirical Simultaneous Confidence Regions for Path-Forecasts," CEPR Discussion Papers 7797, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Chanont Banternghansa & Michael W. McCracken, 2009. "Forecast disagreement among FOMC members," Working Papers 2009-059, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Fred Joutz & Michael P. Clements & Herman O. Stekler, 2007. "An evaluation of the forecasts of the federal reserve: a pooled approach," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(1), pages 121-136.
- Ivana Komunjer & Michael T. Owyang, 2007.
"Multivariate forecast evaluation and rationality testing,"
2007-047, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Ivana Komunjer & Michael T. Owyang, 2012. "Multivariate Forecast Evaluation and Rationality Testing," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 94(4), pages 1066-1080, November.
- Komunjer, Ivana & OWYANG, MICHAEL, 2007. "Multivariate Forecast Evaluation And Rationality Testing," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt81w8m5sf, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Groen, Jan J.J. & Kapetanios, George & Price, Simon, 2009. "A real time evaluation of Bank of England forecasts of inflation and growth," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 74-80.
- Robert A. Eisenbeis & Daniel F. Waggoner & Tao Zha, 2002. "Evaluating Wall Street Journal survey forecasters: a multivariate approach," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 2002-8, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Tara Sinclair & Herman O. Stekler & Warren Carnow, 2012.
"A New Approach For Evaluating Economic Forecasts,"
2012-2, The George Washington University, Institute for International Economic Policy.
- David L. Reifschneider & Peter Tulip, 2007. "Gauging the uncertainty of the economic outlook from historical forecasting errors," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2007-60, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Christopher A. Sims, 2002. "The Role of Models and Probabilities in the Monetary Policy Process," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 33(2), pages 1-62.
- Jacob A. Mincer & Victor Zarnowitz, 1969. "The Evaluation of Economic Forecasts," NBER Chapters, in: Economic Forecasts and Expectations: Analysis of Forecasting Behavior and Performance, pages 3-46 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tara Sinclair & H. O. Stekler & L. Kitzinger, 2010. "Directional forecasts of GDP and inflation: a joint evaluation with an application to Federal Reserve predictions," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(18), pages 2289-2297.
- Julieta Caunedo & Riccardo DiCecio & Ivana Komunjer & Michael T. Owyang, 2013. "Federal reserve forecasts: asymmetry and state-dependence," Working Papers 2013-012, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Holden, K & Peel, D A, 1990. "On Testing for Unbiasedness and Efficiency of Forecasts," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 58(2), pages 120-27, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gwi:wpaper:2012-3. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kyle Renner)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.