A double benefit of biodiversity in agriculture
This paper examines the role played by biodiversity goals in the design of agricultural policies. A bio-economic model is developed with a dynamic and multi-scale perspective. It couples biodiversity dynamics, farming land-uses selected at the micro level and public policies at the macro level based on financial incentives for land-uses. The public decision maker provides optimal incentives with respect to both biodiversity and budgetary constraints. These optimal policies are then analyzed through their private, public and total costs. The model is calibrated and applied to metropolitan France at the Small Agricultural Region (SAR) scale using common birds as biodiversity metrics. Results put forward a decreasing and concave efficiency curve for different biodiversity indicators and economic scores stressing the underlying bio-economic trade-off. The analysis of total and public costs also suggests that accounting for biodiversity can generate a second benefit in terms of public budget. It is argued how a regional redistribution of this public earning to the farmers could promote the acceptability of biodiversity goals in agricultural policies.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Avenue Léon Duguit, 33608 Pessac Cedex|
Phone: +33 (0)18.104.22.168.75
Fax: +33 (0)22.214.171.124.47
Web page: http://gretha.u-bordeaux4.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lewis, David J. & Plantinga, Andrew J. & Nelson, Erik & Polasky, Stephen, 2011.
"The efficiency of voluntary incentive policies for preventing biodiversity loss,"
Resource and Energy Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 192-211, January.
- Lewis, David J. & Plantinga, Andrew J. & Nelson, Erik & Polasky, Stephen, 2009. "The Efficiency of Voluntary Incentive Policies for Preventing Biodiversity Loss," Staff Paper Series 533, University of Wisconsin, Agricultural and Applied Economics.
- Lauriane Mouysset & Luc Doyen & Frédéric Jiguet & Gilles Allaire & Francois Leger, 2011.
"Bio economic modeling for a sustainable management of biodiversity in agricultural lands,"
- Mouysset, L. & Doyen, L. & Jiguet, F. & Allaire, G. & Leger, F., 2011. "Bio economic modeling for a sustainable management of biodiversity in agricultural lands," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(4), pages 617-626, February.
- Doherty Jr., Paul F. & Marschall, Elizabeth A. & Grubb Jr., Thomas C., 1999. "Balancing conservation and economic gain: a dynamic programming approach," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 349-358, June.
- Peter A. Diamond & Jerry A. Hausman, 1994. "Contingent Valuation: Is Some Number Better than No Number?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 8(4), pages 45-64, Fall.
- Shi, Tian & Gill, Roderic, 2005. "Developing effective policies for the sustainable development of ecological agriculture in China: the case study of Jinshan County with a systems dynamics model," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 223-246, April.
- Alavalapati, Janaki R. R. & Stainback, George A. & Carter, Douglas R., 2002. "Restoration of the longleaf pine ecosystem on private lands in the US South: an ecological economic analysis," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 411-419, March.
- Frederic Barraquand & Vincent Martinet, 2011.
"Biological conservation in dynamic agricultural landscapes: effectiveness of public policies and trade-offs with agricultural production,"
- Barraquand, F. & Martinet, V., 2011. "Biological conservation in dynamic agricultural landscapes: Effectiveness of public policies and trade-offs with agricultural production," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(5), pages 910-920, March.
- Lauriane MOUYSSET (CERSP, UMR 7204, CNRS-MNHN-UPMC, SADAPT, INRA, UMR 1048) & Luc DOYEN (CERSP, UMR 7204, CNRS-MNHN-UPMC, GREThA, CNRS, UMR 5113) & Fréderic JIGUET (CERSP, UMR 7204, CNRS-MNHN-UPMC), 2012. "How does the economic risk aversion affect biodiversity?," Cahiers du GREThA 2012-03, Groupe de Recherche en Economie Théorique et Appliquée.
- Semaan, Josephine & Flichman, Guillermo & Scardigno, Alessandra & Steduto, Pasquale, 2007. "Analysis of nitrate pollution control policies in the irrigated agriculture of Apulia Region (Southern Italy): A bio-economic modelling approach," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 94(2), pages 357-367, May.
- Lien, Gudbrand D., 2002. "Non-parametric estimation of decision makers' risk aversion," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 27(1), May.
- Lien, Gudbrand, 2002. "Non-parametric estimation of decision makers' risk aversion," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 27(1), pages 75-83, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:grt:wpegrt:2013-04. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Emmanuel Petit)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.