Intra-firm trade and European integration: Evidences from the French multinational agribusiness
This paper aims firstly to determine the factors that lead multinational firms to internalise their international exchanges and secondly to analyse the impact of the implementation of the European Single Market on their strategies. This study is based on the “Industrial Globalisation” survey conducted by the French statistics institutes in 1993 and in 1999. With regard to French agro-food trade, the results show that there has been an increase in intra-firm trade within the EU borders and the European MNEs’ networks. The main determinants of intra-firm trade are the firms’ need to generate economies of scale and to protect and exploit their “firm-specific advantages” related to the technology and to the nature of the product. The model not only reveals the groups’ strategy to penetrate the EU markets and to bypass borders, but it also sheds light on the role and the development of intra regional networks of subsidiaries.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://gres.u-bordeaux4.fr/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2001.
"Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle,"
NBER Working Papers
8079, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2003. "Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(1), pages 170-192, March.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2000. "Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 485, Boston College Department of Economics.
- John H. Dunning & Peter Robson, 1987. "Multinational Corporate Integration and Regional Economic Integration," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(2), pages 103-125, December.
- James R. Markusen, 1995. "The Boundaries of Multinational Enterprises and the Theory of International Trade," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(2), pages 169-189, Spring.
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman & Adam Szeidl, 2003.
"Optimal Integration Strategies for the Multinational Firm,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
2024, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Grossman, Gene M. & Helpman, Elhanan & Szeidl, Adam, 2006. "Optimal integration strategies for the multinational firm," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 216-238, September.
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman & Adam Szeidl, 2003. "Optimal Integration Strategies for the Multinational Firm," Working Papers 142, Princeton University, Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, Discussion Papers in Economics..
- Grossman, Gene & Helpman, Elhanan & Szeidl, Adam, 2004. "Optimal Integration: Strategies for the Multinational Firm," CEPR Discussion Papers 4477, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman & Adam Szeidl, 2003. "Optimal Integration Strategies for the Multinational Firm," NBER Working Papers 10189, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Keith Head & Thierry Mayer, 2002.
"Effet frontière, intégration économique et 'forteresse europe',"
Sciences Po publications
info:hdl:2441/c8dmi8nm4pd, Sciences Po.
- Thierry Mayer & Keith Head, 2002. "Effet frontière, intégration économique et « Forteresse Europe »," Économie et Prévision, Programme National Persée, vol. 152(1), pages 71-92.
- Keith Head & Thierry Mayer, 2001. "Effet frontière, intégration économique et "Forteresse Europe"," Working Papers 2001-06, CEPII research center.
- Amable, Bruno, 2003. "The Diversity of Modern Capitalism," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199261147, March.
- Keith Head & Thierry Mayer, 2004.
"Non-Europe : the magnitude and causes of market fragmentation in the EU,"
Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques
bla99004a, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Keith Head & Thierry Mayer, 2000. "Non-Europe: The magnitude and causes of market fragmentation in the EU," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 136(2), pages 284-314, June.
- R Rama, 1999. "Innovation and profitability of global food firms. Testing for differences in the influence of the home base," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 31(4), pages 735-751, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:grs:wpegrs:2006-24. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vincent Frigant)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.