The Effect Of Social-Media Communication On Consumer Perceptions Of Brands
Researchers and brand managers have limited understanding of the effects of firm-created and user-generated social media communication on brand equity, brand attitude, and purchase intention. Thus, we investigated 504 Facebook users using a standardized online survey across Poland. To test the proposed model, we analyzed 60 brands across three different industries: non-alcoholic beverages, clothing, and mobile operators. In the data analysis, we applied the structural equation modeling technique. The results of our empirical studies showed that user-generated social media communication had a positive influence on brand equity and brand attitude. In addition, the analysis indicated that firm-created social media communication affected only brand attitude. Both brand equity and brand attitude showed a positive influence on purchase intention. Moreover, measurement invariance was assessed using a multi-group structural modeling equation. The findings revealed that the proposed model was invariant across the researched industries
|Date of creation:||Jun 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: ul. Narutowicza 11/12, 80-233 Gdańsk|
Phone: +48 58 347-18-99
Fax: +48 58 347-18-61
Web page: http://www.zie.pg.gda.pl
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brodie, Roderick J. & Ilic, Ana & Juric, Biljana & Hollebeek, Linda, 2013. "Consumer engagement in a virtual brand community: An exploratory analysis," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 105-114.
- Shukla, Paurav, 2011. "Impact of interpersonal influences, brand origin and brand image on luxury purchase intentions: Measuring interfunctional interactions and a cross-national comparison," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 242-252, April.
- Goodstein, Ronald C, 1993. " Category-Based Applications and Extensions in Advertising: Motivating More Extensive Ad Processing," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 20(1), pages 87-99, June.
- Garvin, David A., 1984. "Product quality: An important strategic weapon," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 40-43.
- Carol J. Simon & Mary W. Sullivan, 1993. "The Measurement and Determinants of Brand Equity: A Financial Approach," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 12(1), pages 28-52.
- David Godes & Dina Mayzlin, 2009. "Firm-Created Word-of-Mouth Communication: Evidence from a Field Test," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 28(4), pages 721-739, 07-08.
- V. Srinivasan, 1979. "Network Models for Estimating Brand-Specific Effects in Multi-Attribute Marketing Models," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 25(1), pages 11-21, January.
- Kaplan, Andreas M. & Haenlein, Michael, 2010. "Users of the world, unite! The challenges and opportunities of Social Media," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 59-68, January.
- Yoo, Boonghee & Donthu, Naveen, 2001. "Developing and validating a multidimensional consumer-based brand equity scale," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 1-14, April.
- Berthon, Pierre R. & Pitt, Leyland F. & McCarthy, Ian & Kates, Steven M., 2007. "When customers get clever: Managerial approaches to dealing with creative consumers," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 39-47.
- Mangold, W. Glynn & Faulds, David J., 2009. "Social media: The new hybrid element of the promotion mix," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 52(4), pages 357-365, July.
- Beales, Howard, et al, 1981. " Consumer Search and Public Policy," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 8(1), pages 11-22, June.
- Bruno Schivinski & Dariusz Dabrowski, 2013. "The Impact of Brand Communication on Brand Equity Dimensions and Brand Purchase Intention Through Facebook," GUT FME Working Paper Series A 4, Faculty of Management and Economics, Gdansk University of Technology.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gdk:wpaper:12. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wojciech Drapinski)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.