Impact of interpersonal influences, brand origin and brand image on luxury purchase intentions: Measuring interfunctional interactions and a cross-national comparison
This study provides insights into how interpersonal influences and branding cues shape consumer luxury purchase intentions. Using a sample of British and Indian consumers, this study investigates and compares structure, properties and mean levels of susceptibility to interpersonal influences and highlights the interfunctional interactions. While normative interpersonal influences were found to be significant across nations, the role of informational interpersonal influences was significant only among Indian consumers. It was also observed that British consumers relied increasingly on branding cues. Moreover, brand image was found to be a significant moderator between normative interpersonal influences and luxury purchase intentions in both countries.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 46 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ratner, Rebecca K & Kahn, Barbara E, 2002. " The Impact of Private versus Public Consumption on Variety-Seeking Behavior," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 29(2), pages 246-57, September.
- Bernard Dubois & Sandor Czellar & Gilles Laurent, 2005. "Consumer Segments Based on Attitudes Toward Luxury: Empirical Evidence from Twenty Countries," Marketing Letters, Springer, vol. 16(2), pages 115-128, April.
- Steenkamp, Jan-Benedict E M & Baumgartner, Hans, 1998. " Assessing Measurement Invariance in Cross-National Consumer Research," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 25(1), pages 78-90, June.
- Money, R. Bruce & Colton, Deborah, 2000. "The response of the 'new consumer' to promotion in the transition economies of the former Soviet Bloc," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 189-205, July.
- Park, C Whan & Lessig, V Parker, 1977. " Students and Housewives: Differences in Susceptibility to Reference Group Influence," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 4(2), pages 102-10, Se.
- Chung Koo kim & Jay Young Chung, 1997. "Brand Popularity, Country Image and Market Share: An Empirical Study," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 28(2), pages 361-386, June.
- Harcar, Talha & Spillan, John E., 2006. "Exploring Latin American family decision-making using correspondence analysis," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 221-232, September.
- George R Franke & R Glenn Richey, 2010. "Improving generalizations from multi-country comparisons in international business research," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 41(8), pages 1275-1293, October.
- Burnkrant, Robert E & Cousineau, Alain, 1975. " Informational and Normative Social Influence in Buyer Behavior," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 2(3), pages 206-15, December.
- Calori, Roland & Melin, Leif & Atamer, Tugrul & Gustavsson, Peter, 2000. "Innovative international strategies," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 333-354, January.
- Ariely, Dan & Levav, Jonathan, 2000. " Sequential Choice in Group Settings: Taking the Road Less Traveled and Less Enjoyed," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 27(3), pages 279-90, December.
- Hume, Margee, 2010. "Compassion without action: Examining the young consumers consumption and attitude to sustainable consumption," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 45(4), pages 385-394, October.
- Durvasula, Srinivas, et al, 1993. " Assessing the Cross-National Applicability of Consumer Behavior Models: A Model of Attitude toward Advertising in General," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 19(4), pages 626-36, March.
- Yacine Ait-Sahalia & Jonathan A. Parker & Motohiro Yogo, 2002.
"Luxury Goods and the Equity Premium,"
145, Princeton University, Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, Discussion Papers in Economics.
- Hult, G. Tomas M. & Keillor, Bruce D. & Hightower, Roscoe, 2000. "Valued product attributes in an emerging market: a comparison between French and Malaysian consumers," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 206-220, July.
- Oetzel, Jennifer & Doh, Jonathan P., 2009. "MNEs and development: a review and reconceptualization," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 108-120, April.
- Yoo, Boonghee & Donthu, Naveen, 2001. "Developing and validating a multidimensional consumer-based brand equity scale," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 1-14, April.
- Saeed Samiee & Terence A Shimp & Subhash Sharma, 2005. "Brand origin recognition accuracy: its antecedents and consumers’ cognitive limitations," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 36(4), pages 379-397, July.
- Bearden, William O & Netemeyer, Richard G & Teel, Jesse E, 1989. " Measurement of Consumer Susceptibility to Interpersonal Influence," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 15(4), pages 473-81, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:worbus:v:46:y:2011:i:2:p:242-252. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.