The impact of productive efficiency and quality of a regulated local public utility on final goods prices and consumers welfare
In this paper, we reconstruct the process by which the decisions of a regulated local public utility, in terms of productive efficiency and quality of the service provided, impact on prices of final consumption goods, supplied in a oligopolistic market operating in the same geographic area. We obtain some formula for these effects which can be quantified by estimating firms’ conditional input demand function of the public service and firms’ inverse demand function for this public good, non-rival, component. Finally, we draw the effects of productive efficiency and quality on consumer welfare and cost-of-living, via changes on tariffs, external effects and final goods prices.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 055 2759582
Web page: http://www.disei.unifi.it/Email:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Creedy, John, 2000.
"Measuring Welfare Changes and the Excess Burden of Taxation,"
Bulletin of Economic Research,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(1), pages 1-47, January.
- Creedy, J., 1997. "Measuring Welfare Changes and the Excess Burden of Taxation," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 587, The University of Melbourne.
- John Bennett & Elisabetta Iossa, 2004.
"Building and Managing Facilities for Public Services,"
Public Policy Discussion Papers
02-08, Economics and Finance Section, School of Social Sciences, Brunel University.
- Bennett, John & Iossa, Elisabetta, 2006. "Building and managing facilities for public services," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(10-11), pages 2143-2160, November.
- Bennett, John & Elisabetta Iossa, 2002. "Building and Managing Facilities for Public Services," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2002 22, Royal Economic Society.
- JOhn Bennett & Elisabetta Iossa, 2005. "Building and Managing Facilities for Public Services," The Centre for Market and Public Organisation 05/137, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- John Bennett & Elisabetta Iossa, 2002. "Building and Managing Facilities for Public Services," Economics and Finance Discussion Papers 02-08, Economics and Finance Section, School of Social Sciences, Brunel University.
- Jean-Jacques Laffont & Jean Tirole, 1993. "A Theory of Incentives in Procurement and Regulation," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262121743, June.
- Owen, Gill, 2006. "Sustainable development duties: New roles for UK economic regulators," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 208-217, September.
- Paul Makdissi & Quentin Wodon, 2001.
"Poverty-Reducing and Welfare-Improving Marginal Public Price and Price Cap Reforms,"
Cahiers de recherche
04-04, Departement d'Economique de la Faculte d'administration à l'Universite de Sherbrooke, revised 2004.
- Paul Makdissi & Quentin Wodon, 2007. "Poverty-Reducing and Welfare-Improving Marginal Public Price and Price Cap Reforms," Journal of Public Economic Theory, Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 9(4), pages 683-698, 08.
- Raffaele Miniaci & Carlo Scarpa & Paola Valbonesi, 2008.
"Distributional Effects of Price Reforms in the Italian Utility Markets,"
Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 29(1), pages 135-163, 03.
- Raffaele Miniaci & Carlo Scarpa & Paola Valbonesi, 2007. "Distributional effects of price reforms in the Italian utility markets," "Marco Fanno" Working Papers 0050, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche "Marco Fanno".
- Fare, Rolf, et al, 1989. "Multilateral Productivity Comparisons When Some Outputs Are Undesirable: A Nonparametric Approach," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(1), pages 90-98, February.
- Bartle, Ian & Vass, Peter, 2007. "Independent economic regulation: A reassessment of its role in sustainable development," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 261-269, December.
- Graeme Guthrie, 2006. "Regulating Infrastructure: The Impact on Risk and Investment," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 44(4), pages 925-972, December.
- Picazo-Tadeo, Andres J. & Saez-Fernandez, Francisco J. & Gonzalez-Gomez, Francisco, 2008. "Does service quality matter in measuring the performance of water utilities," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 30-38, March.
- Mark Armstrong & David Sappington, 2005.
"Regulation, Competition and Liberalization,"
0505011, EconWPA, revised 07 Oct 2005.
- BEHRENS, Kristian & THISSE, Jacques-François, .
"Regional economics: a new economic geography perspective,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1946, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Behrens, Kristian & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 2007. "Regional economics: A new economic geography perspective," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 457-465, July.
- Mark Armstrong & Simon Cowan & John Vickers, 1994. "Regulatory Reform: Economic Analysis and British Experience," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262510790, June.
- David Sappington, 2005. "Regulating Service Quality: A Survey," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 27(2), pages 123-154, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:frz:wpaper:wp2008_10.rdf. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Giorgio Ricchiuti)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.