Economic liberalisation targeted programmes and household food security
"Although there is little consensus on the impact of trade liberalization on poverty and food security, it is nevertheless widely acknowledged that there is a need for governments to establish safety-nets to guard against any potentially harmful effects on the poor and vulnerable sections of society. Against this background, programs aimed at achieving food security and reducing poverty gain increased importance in the reform era. This study aims to evaluate several such programs that are currently in place in the country from the point of view of their impact, efficiency and financial sustainability. The purpose is to determine how these programs may be improved and propose appropriate policy options for reform, while also keeping in mind the new challenges that might lie ahead. Specifically, the study evaluates the Public Distribution System (PDS), Public Works Programs, and certain food-based direct intervention programs such as the Integrated Child Development Scheme (ICDS) and Tamil Nadu Integrated Nutrition Program (TINP), with a view to suggest how they can be made more cost effectiveness and better targeted." From Author's Executive Summary
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1201 Eye Street, NW, Washington, DC 20005-3915|
Web page: http://www.ifpri.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cornia, Giovanni Andrea & Jolly, Richard & Stewart, Frances (ed.), 1987. "Adjustment with a Human Face: Volume 1, Protecting the Vulnerable and Promoting Growth," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198286097.
- Martin Ravallion & Gaurav Datt, 1995. "Is Targeting Through a Work Requirement Efficient? Some Evidence for Rural India," Monash Economics Working Papers archive-41, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Smith, Lisa C. & Haddad, Lawrence James, 2000. "Explaining child malnutrition in developing countries: a cross-country analysis," Research reports 111, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Harold Alderman & Jere Behrman & Victory Lavy & Rekha Menon, "undated".
"Child Nutrition, Child Health, and School Enrollment: A Longitudinal Analysis,"
CARESS Working Papres
97-21, University of Pennsylvania Center for Analytic Research and Economics in the Social Sciences.
- Alderman, Harold & Behrman, Jere R. & Lavy, Victor & Menon, Rekha, 1997. "Child nutrition, child health, and school enrollment : a longitudinal analysis," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1700, The World Bank.
- Jha, Shikha & Srinivasan, P.V., 1999. "Grain price stabilization in India: Evaluation of policy alternatives," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 21(1), August.
- Ahluwalia, Deepak, 1993. "Public distribution of food in India : Coverage, targeting and leakages," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 33-54, February.
- R. Radhakrishna & C. Ravi, 1992. "Effects of Growth, Relative Price and Preferences on Food and Nutrition," Indian Economic Review, Department of Economics, Delhi School of Economics, vol. 27, pages 303-323.
- Gelbach, Jonah B. & Pritchett, Lant H., 1995. "Does more for the poor mean less for the poor? The politics of tagging," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1523, The World Bank.
- Ravallion, Martin, 1991. "Reaching the Rural Poor through Public Employment: Arguments, Evidence, and Lessons from South Asia," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 6(2), pages 153-175, July.
- Jha, Shikha & Srinivasan, P. V., 1999. "Grain price stabilization in India: Evaluation of policy alternatives," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 21(1), pages 93-108, August.
- Radhakrishna, R. & Subbarao, K., 1997. "India's Public Distribution System. A National and International Perspective," World Bank - Discussion Papers 380, World Bank.
- Kanbur, Ravi & Keen, Michael & Tuomala, Matti, 1994. "Labor Supply and Targeting in Poverty Alleviation Programs," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 8(2), pages 191-211, May.
- repec:pri:rpdevs:deaton_dreze_poverty_india is not listed on IDEAS Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)