FOOD AND NUTRITION IN HYDERABAD. Current Knowledge and Priorities for Action in an Urban Setting
This report provides an overview of the food and nutrition security situation in the city of Hyderabad. The empirical evidence reviewed in this paper was collected primarily through: (i) electronic bibliographic searches, (ii) informational meetings with key actors in Hyderabad, (iii) data from the second National Family Health Survey (NFHS-2) completed in 1998/9, and (iv) qualitative and quantitative studies conducted in selected communities in Hyderabad. The review presents a conceptual model of food and nutrition security that it then uses to frame an exploration of the conditions and causes of food insecurity and malnutrition in Hyderabad. The report also describes food and nutrition programs operating in Hyderabad. It concludes by highlighting knowledge gaps that need to be filled in order to inform policies and programs to reduce food and nutrition insecurity in Hyderabad.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Philippstr. 13, 10115 Berlin|
Phone: +49 (0)30 2093 6305
Fax: +49 (0)30 2093 6497
Web page: http://www.agrar.hu-berlin.de/fakultaet/departments/daoe
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lohr, Kerstin & Dittrich, Christoph, 2007. "Changing Food Purchasing and Consumption Habits among Urban Middle-Classes in Hyderabad," Analysis and Action for Sustainable Development of Hyderabad 36908, Humboldt University Berlin, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Dev, S. Mahendra & Ravi, C. & Viswanathan, Brinda & Gulati, Ashok & Ramachander, Sangamitra, 2004. "Economic liberalisation targeted programmes and household food security," MTID discussion papers 68, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- R. Radhakrishna & C. Ravi, 1992. "Effects of Growth, Relative Price and Preferences on Food and Nutrition," Indian Economic Review, Department of Economics, Delhi School of Economics, vol. 27, pages 303-323.
- Haddad, Lawrence & Ruel, Marie T. & Garrett, James L., 1999. "Are Urban Poverty and Undernutrition Growing? Some Newly Assembled Evidence," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(11), pages 1891-1904, November.
- Wipper, Marlis & Dittrich, Christoph, 2007. "Urban Street Food Vendors in the Food Provisioning System of Hyderabad," Analysis and Action for Sustainable Development of Hyderabad 36909, Humboldt University Berlin, Department of Agricultural Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:huiaan:6369. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.