Global bond risk premiums
This paper examines time-varying measures of term premiums across ten developed economies. It shows that a single factor accounts for most of the variation in expected excess returns over time, across the maturity spectrum, and across countries. I construct a global return forecasting factor that is a GDP-weighted average of each country’s local return forecasting factor and show that it has information not spanned by the traditional level, slope, curvature factors of the term structure, or by the local return forecasting factors. Including the global forecasting factor in the model produces estimates of spillover effects that are consistent with our conceptual understanding of these flows, both in direction and magnitude. These effects are illustrated for three episodes: the period following the Russian default in 1998, the bond conundrum period from mid-2004 to mid-2006, and the period since the onset of the global financial crisis in 2008.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.newyorkfed.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.ny.frb.org/rmaghome/staff_rp/ Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Greg Duffee, 2011.
"Information in (and not in) the term structure,"
Economics Working Paper Archive
577, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics.
- Diebold, Francis X. & Li, Canlin & Yue, Vivian Z., 2008.
"Global yield curve dynamics and interactions: A dynamic Nelson-Siegel approach,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 146(2), pages 351-363, October.
- Diebold, Francis X. & Li, Canlin & Yue, Vivian Z., 2007. "Global yield curve dynamics and interactions: A dynamic Nelson-Siegel approach," CFS Working Paper Series 2008/27, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Francis X. Diebold & Canlin Li & Vivian Z. Yue, 2007. "Global Yield Curve Dynamics and Interactions: A Dynamic Nelson-Siegel Approach," PIER Working Paper Archive 07-030, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Francis X. Diebold & Canlin Li & Vivian Z. Yue, 2007. "Global Yield Curve Dynamics and Interactions: A Dynamic Nelson-Siegel Approach," NBER Working Papers 13588, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael Ehrmann & Marcel Fratzscher & Roberto Rigobon, 2011.
"Stocks, bonds, money markets and exchange rates: measuring international financial transmission,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 26(6), pages 948-974, 09.
- Michael Ehrmann & Marcel Fratzscher & Roberto Rigobon, 2005. "Stocks, Bonds, Money Markets and Exchange Rates: Measuring International Financial Transmission," NBER Working Papers 11166, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ehrmann, Michael & Fratzscher, Marcel & Rigobon, Roberto, 2005. "Stocks, bonds, money markets and exchange rates: measuring international financial transmission," Working Paper Series 0452, European Central Bank.
- John H. Cochrane & Monika Piazzesi, 2005.
"Bond Risk Premia,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 95(1), pages 138-160, March.
- Ehrmann, Michael & Fratzscher, Marcel, 2003.
"Equal size, equal role? Interest rate interdependence between the Euro area and the United States,"
CFS Working Paper Series
2003/46, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Michael Ehrmann & Marcel Fratzscher, 2005. "Equal Size, Equal Role? Interest Rate Interdependence Between the Euro Area and the United States," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 115(506), pages 928-948, October.
- Michael Ehrmann & Marcel Fratzscher, 2004. "Equal size, equal role? interest rate interdependence between the euro area and the United States," International Finance Discussion Papers 800, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Adrian, Tobias & Crump, Richard K. & Moench, Emanuel, 2013.
"Pricing the term structure with linear regressions,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 110(1), pages 110-138.
- Tobias Adrian & Emanuel Moench, 2008. "Pricing the term structure with linear regressions," Staff Reports 340, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- M. Ayhan Kose & Christopher Otrok & Charles H. Whiteman, 2003. "International Business Cycles: World, Region, and Country-Specific Factors," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(4), pages 1216-1239, September.
- Sydney C. Ludvigson & Serena Ng, 2009.
"Macro Factors in Bond Risk Premia,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(12), pages 5027-5067, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fednsr:499. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Amy Farber)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.