Indirect taxation and the welfare effects of altruism on the optimal fiscal policy
This paper analyzes the welfare effects of altruism on the optimal fiscal policy. The existence of positive bequests links present and future generations in the economy. We show that these altruistic links provide a new role for indirect taxation (consumption and estate taxes) with important welfare implications. We use three different altruistic approaches (warm-glow, dynastic, and family) to illustrate how the presence of bequests in the budget constraint of the donee gives the government the ability to use indirect taxation to mimic lump-sum taxation and to implement the first-best outcome in the long-run. This channel is not present in economies without altruism, such as the infinite-lived consumer economy or the overlapping generations economy, where long-run welfare is suboptimal and indirect taxation is irrelevant.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.stlouisfed.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Emmanuel Farhi & Iván Werning, 2010.
"Progressive Estate Taxation,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 125(2), pages 635-673, May.
- Carlos Garriga-Calvet, 2000.
"Optimal Fiscal Policy in Overlapping Generations Models,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
1772, Econometric Society.
- Carlos Garriga, 2001. "Optimal Fiscal Policy in Overlapping Generations Models," Working Papers in Economics 66, Universitat de Barcelona. Espai de Recerca en Economia.
- Judd, Kenneth L., 1985.
"Redistributive taxation in a simple perfect foresight model,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 59-83, October.
- Kenneth L. Judd, 1982. "Redistributive Taxation in a Simple Perfect Foresight Model," Discussion Papers 572, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Chari, V.V. & Kehoe, Patrick J., 1999.
"Optimal fiscal and monetary policy,"
Handbook of Macroeconomics,
in: J. B. Taylor & M. Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Macroeconomics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 26, pages 1671-1745
- Philippe Michel & Pierre Pestieau, 2004.
"Fiscal Policy in an Overlapping Generations Model with Bequest-as-Consumption,"
Journal of Public Economic Theory,
Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 6(3), pages 397-407, 08.
- MICHEL, Philippe & PESTIEAU, Pierre, . "Fiscal policy in an overlapping generations model with bequest-as-consumption," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1988, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- LAMBRECHT, Stéphane & MICHEL, Philippe & VIDAL, Jean-Pierre, .
"Public pensions and growth,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1820, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Fischer, Stanley, 1980. "Dynamic inconsistency, cooperation and the benevolent dissembling government," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 93-107, May.
- Mariacristina Nardi, 2004.
"Wealth Inequality and Intergenerational Links,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 71, pages 743-768, 07.
- Mariacristina De Nardi, 2002. "Wealth inequality and intergenerational links," Staff Report 314, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Mariacristina deNardi, 2000. "Wealth Inequality and Intergenerational Links," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0547, Econometric Society.
- Carlos Garriga & Fernando Sánchez-Losada, 2009.
"Estate taxation with warm-glow altruism,"
Portuguese Economic Journal,
Springer, vol. 8(2), pages 99-118, August.
- Fernando M. Martin, 2004.
"A Positive Theory of Government Debt,"
0408013, EconWPA, revised 12 Oct 2004.
- Wojciech Kopczuk, 2002.
"The Trick is to Live: Is the Estate Tax Social Security for the Rich?,"
NBER Working Papers
9188, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wojciech Kopczuk, 2003. "The Trick Is to Live: Is the Estate Tax Social Security for the Rich?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 111(6), pages 1318-1341, December.
- W. G. Gale & J. K. Scholz, .
"Intergenerational transfers and the accumulation of wealth,"
Institute for Research on Poverty Discussion Papers
1019-93, University of Wisconsin Institute for Research on Poverty.
- William G. Gale & John Karl Scholz, 1994. "Intergenerational Transfers and the Accumulation of Wealth," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 8(4), pages 145-160, Fall.
- William G. Gale & John Karl Scholz, 1991. "Intergenerational Transfers and the Accumulation of Wealth," UCLA Economics Working Papers 624, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Laitner, John, 1993. "Intergenerational and interhousehold economic links," Handbook of Population and Family Economics, in: M. R. Rosenzweig & Stark, O. (ed.), Handbook of Population and Family Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 5, pages 189-238 Elsevier.
- Andrés Erosa & Martin Gervais, 1998.
"Optimal Taxation in Life-Cycle Economies,"
UWO Department of Economics Working Papers
9812, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- De Bonis, Valeria & Spataro, Luca, 2005. "Taxing Capital Income As Pigouvian Correction: The Role Of Discounting The Future," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(04), pages 469-477, September.
- Barro, Robert J., 1974.
"Are Government Bonds Net Wealth?,"
3451399, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Caballe, Jordi, 1998. "Growth Effects of Taxation under Altruism and Low Elasticity of Intertemporal Substitution," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(446), pages 92-104, January.
- Chamley, Christophe, 1986. "Optimal Taxation of Capital Income in General Equilibrium with Infinite Lives," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(3), pages 607-22, May.
- Davies, James B. & Shorrocks, Anthony F., 2000. "The distribution of wealth," Handbook of Income Distribution, in: A.B. Atkinson & F. Bourguignon (ed.), Handbook of Income Distribution, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 11, pages 605-675 Elsevier.
- Christopher Sleet & Sevin Yeltekin, 2006. "Credibility and endogenous societal discounting," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 9(3), pages 410-437, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedlwp:2009-047. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anna Xiao)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.