Korean banks' responses to the strengthening of capital adequacy requirements
The purpose of this paper is to examine Korean banks' responses to the Basle risk-weighted capital adequacy requirements implemented in 1993. The analysis indicates that while some cosmetic adjustments might have been made by partial recognition of unrealized stock losses and expected loan losses, efforts to increase capital in ways that effectively reduced risk exposure seemed to dominate the response to strengthened capital requirements. The analysis also suggests the advisability of supplementing risk-based capital requirements with leverage restrictions. The analysis also raises the question of whether the 8 percent minimum ratio of the Basle capital accord is sufficient for banks in developing countries.
|Date of creation:||1998|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 101 Market Street, MS 1130, San Francisco, CA 94105-1579|
Phone: (415) 974-3184
Fax: (415) 974-2168
Web page: http://www.frbsf.org/economics/pbc/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dahl, Drew & Spivey, Michael F., 1995. "Prompt corrective action and bank efforts to recover from undercapitalization," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 225-243, May.
- Paul Calem & Rafael Rob, .
""The Impact of Capital-Based Regulation on Bank Risk-Taking: A Dynamic Model'',"
CARESS Working Papres
97-16, University of Pennsylvania Center for Analytic Research and Economics in the Social Sciences.
- Paul S. Calem & Rafael Rob, 1996. "The impact of capital-based regulation on bank risk-taking: a dynamic model," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 96-12, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Crockett, A, 1997. "The Theory and Practice of Financial Stability," Princeton Essays in International Economics 203, International Economics Section, Departement of Economics Princeton University,.
- Frederick T. Furlong & Michael C. Keeley, 1991. "Capital regulation and bank risk-taking: a note (reprinted from Journal of Banking and Finance)," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Sum, pages 34-39.
- Gennotte, Gerard & Pyle, David, 1991. "Capital controls and bank risk," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(4-5), pages 805-824, September.
- Jagtiani, Julapa & Saunders, Anthony & Udell, Gregory, 1995. "The effect of bank capital requirements on bank off-balance sheet financial innovations," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(3-4), pages 647-658, June.
- Kahane, Yehuda, 1977. "Capital adequacy and the regulation of financial intermediaries," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 207-218, October.
- Joe Peek & Eric S. Rosengren, 1993.
"Bank regulation and the credit crunch,"
93-2, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Koehn, Michael & Santomero, Anthony M, 1980. " Regulation of Bank Capital and Portfolio Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 35(5), pages 1235-1244, December.
- Christine A. Pavel & David Phillis, 1987. "Why commercial banks sell loans: an empirical analysis," Economic Perspectives, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue May, pages 3-14.
- Gjerde, Oystein & Semmen, Kristian, 1995. "Risk-based capital requirements and bank portfolio risk," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(7), pages 1159-1173, October.
- Graciela L. Kaminsky & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1996.
"The twin crises: the causes of banking and balance-of-payments problems,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
544, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Graciela L. Kaminsky, 1999. "The Twin Crises: The Causes of Banking and Balance-of-Payments Problems," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 473-500, June.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 2000.
"Las crisis gemelas: las causas de los problemas bancarios y de balanza de pagos
[The twin crises: Te causes of banking and balance of payments problems]," MPRA Paper 13842, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 1999. "The twin crises: The causes of banking and balance of payments problems," MPRA Paper 14081, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dahl, Drew & Shrieves, Ronald E., 1990.
"The impact of regulation on bank equity infusions,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 1209-1228, December.
- Patrick Honohan, 1997.
"Banking system failures in developing and transition countries: Diagnosis and predictions,"
BIS Working Papers
39, Bank for International Settlements.
- P. Honohan, 2000. "Banking System Failures in Developing and Transition Countries: Diagnosis and Prediction," Economic Notes, Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena SpA, vol. 29(1), pages 83-109, 02.
- Scholes, Myron S & Wilson, G Peter & Wolfson, Mark A, 1990. "Tax Planning, Regulatory Capital Planning, and Financial Reporting Strategy for Commercial Banks," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 3(4), pages 625-50.
- Furlong, Frederick T. & Keeley, Michael C., 1989. "Capital regulation and bank risk-taking: A note," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(6), pages 883-891, December.
- Kane, Edward J., 1995.
"Difficulties of transferring risk-based capital requirements to developing countries,"
Pacific-Basin Finance Journal,
Elsevier, vol. 3(2-3), pages 193-216, July.
- Kane, Edward J. & DEC, 1994. "Difficulties of transferring risk-based capital requirements to developing countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1244, The World Bank.
- Simon H. Kwan & Randy O'Toole, 1997. "Recent developments in loan loss provisioning at U.S. commercial banks," FRBSF Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue jul25.
- Hancock, Diana & Laing, Andrew J. & Wilcox, James A., 1995. "Bank capital shocks: Dynamic effects on securities, loans, and capital," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(3-4), pages 661-677, June.
- Paul S. Calem & Rafael Rob, . "The Impact of Capital-Based Regulation on Bank Risk-Taking: A Dynamic Model," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1996-12, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Ryoichi Shinagawa, 1993. "Impact of capital requirements on the behavior of banks and its macroeconomic implication: Japan's experience," Proceedings 406, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Christine A. Pavel & David Phillis, 1987. "Why commercial banks sell loans: an empirical analysis," Proceedings 152, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Kim, Daesik & Santomero, Anthony M, 1988. " Risk in Banking and Capital Regulation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(5), pages 1219-1233, December.
- Larry D. Wall & Pamela P. Peterson, 1996. "Banks' responses to binding regulatory capital requirements," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, issue Mar, pages 1-17.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedfpb:98-01. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Diane Rosenberger)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.