The monetary transmission mechanism: an empirical framework
This paper describes an empirical framework for analyzing the monetary transmission mechanism through which changes in monetary policy affect real GDP and inflation. The framework reflects the work of a large number of empirical researchers who have built econometric models of the impacts of monetary policy on real interest rates and real exchange rates. The framework is international in its scope and emphasizes the prices of financial assets rather than the quantities of these assets. In most cases expectations are assumed to be rational and the prices of goods and services are temporarily rigid. The paper concludes with a comparison of this empirical framework with a theoretical framework proposed by Milton Friedman 25 years ago.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||1995|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Conference on Monetary Policy in a Changing Financial Environment ; Journal of Economic Perspectives (Fall 1995, v. 9, no. 4, p11-26)|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (415) 974-2000
Fax: (415) 974-3333
Web page: http://www.frbsf.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bennett T. McCallum, 1993.
"Specification and Analysis of a Monetary Policy Rule for Japan,"
NBER Working Papers
4449, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bennett T. McCallum, 1993. "Specification and Analysis of a Monetary Policy Rule for Japan," Monetary and Economic Studies, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan, vol. 11(2), pages 1-45, December.
- Friedman, Milton, 1972. "Comments on the Critics," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 80(5), pages 906-50, Sept.-Oct.
- Friedman, Milton, 1970.
"A Theoretical Framework for Monetary Analysis,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(2), pages 193-238, March-Apr.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedfap:95-07. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Diane Rosenberger)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.