Generic-branded drug competition and the price for pharmaceuticals in procurement auctions
This paper studies the effects of generic drug’s entry on bidding behavior of drug suppliers in procurement auctions for pharmaceuticals, and the consequences on procurer’s price paid for drugs. Using an unique data set on procurement auctions for off-patent drugs organized by Brazilian public bodies, we surprisingly find no statistically difference between bids and prices paid for generic and branded drugs. On the other hand, some branded drug suppliers leave auctions in which there exists a supplier of generics, whereas the remaining ones lower their bidding price. These findings explain why we find that the presence of any supplier of generic drugs in a procurement auction reduces the price paid for pharmaceuticals by 7 percent. To overcome potential estimation bias due to generic’s entry endogeneity, we exploit variation in the number of days between drug’s patent expiration date and the tendering session. The two-stage estimations document the same pattern as the generalized least square estimations find. This evidence indicates that generic competition affects branded supplier’s behavior in public procurement auctions differently from other markets.
|Date of creation:||05 Dec 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 55 (011) 3799-3350
Fax: 55 (011) 3799-3357
Web page: http://eesp.fgv.br
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Reiffen & Michael R. Ward, 2005. "Generic Drug Industry Dynamics," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 87(1), pages 37-49, February.
- Barbosa, Klenio de Souza & Fiuza, Eduardo, 2012. "Demand aggregation and credit risk effects in pooled procurement: evidence from the Brazilian public purchases of pharmaceuticals and medical supplies," Textos para discussão 299, Escola de Economia de São Paulo, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Porter, Robert H & Zona, J Douglas, 1993.
"Detection of Bid Rigging in Procurement Auctions,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(3), pages 518-38, June.
- Margaret K. Kyle, 2007. "Pharmaceutical Price Controls and Entry Strategies," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 89(1), pages 88-99, February.
- Ernst R. Berndt, 2002. "Pharmaceuticals in U.S. Health Care: Determinants of Quantity and Price," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 16(4), pages 45-66, Fall.
- Danzon, Patricia M. & Chao, Li-Wei, 2000. "Cross-national price differences for pharmaceuticals: how large, and why?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 159-195, March.
- Nicola Dimitri, 2012. "Best Value for Money in Procurement," Working Papers 2012/02, Maastricht School of Management.
- Glenn Ellison & Sara Fisher Ellison, 2011.
"Strategic Entry Deterrence and the Behavior of Pharmaceutical Incumbents Prior to Patent Expiration,"
American Economic Journal: Microeconomics,
American Economic Association, vol. 3(1), pages 1-36, February.
- Glenn Ellison & Sara Fisher Ellison, 2007. "Strategic Entry Deterrence and the Behavior of Pharmaceutical Incumbents Prior to Patent Expiration," NBER Working Papers 13069, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Giuseppe Carone & Christoph Schwierz & Ana Xavier, 2012.
"Cost-containment policies in public pharmaceutical spending in the EU,"
European Economy - Economic Papers
461, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Carone, Giuseppe & Schwierz, Christoph & Xavier, Ana, 2012. "Cost-containment policies in public pharmaceutical spending in the EU," MPRA Paper 42008, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Peter Cramton, 2012.
"Reducing Healthcare Costs Requires Good Market Design,"
Papers of Peter Cramton
10ckrhc, University of Maryland, Department of Economics - Peter Cramton, revised 2012.
- Cramton Peter & Katzman Brett E, 2010. "Reducing Healthcare Costs Requires Good Market Design," The Economists' Voice, De Gruyter, vol. 7(4), pages 1-4, October.
- Jofre-Bonet, Mireia & Pesendorfer, Martin, 2000. "Bidding behavior in a repeated procurement auction: A summary," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(4-6), pages 1006-1020, May.
- Michael Kremer, 2002. "Pharmaceuticals and the Developing World," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 16(4), pages 67-90, Fall.
- Sotiris Vandoros & Panos Kanavos, 2013. "The generics paradox revisited: empirical evidence from regulated markets," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(22), pages 3230-3239, August.
- Lopez-Casasnovas, Guillem & Puig-Junoy, Jaume, 2000. "Review of the literature on reference pricing," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 87-123, November.
- McRae, James J. & Tapon, Francis, 1985. "Some empirical evidence on post-patent barriers to entry in the Canadian pharmaceutical industry," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 43-61, March.
- Leonardo Rezende, 2008. "Econometrics of auctions by least squares," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(7), pages 925-948.
- Richard G. Frank & David S. Salkever, 1995.
"Generic Entry and the Pricing of Pharmaceuticals,"
NBER Working Papers
5306, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fiona M. Scott Morton, 1999. "Entry Decisions in the Generic Pharmaceutical Industry," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 30(3), pages 421-440, Autumn.
- McCrary, Justin, 2008. "Manipulation of the running variable in the regression discontinuity design: A density test," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 142(2), pages 698-714, February.
- Margaret K. Kyle, 2006. "The role of firm characteristics in pharmaceutical product launches," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 37(3), pages 602-618, 09.
- Vogel, Ronald J. & Stephens, Betsy, 1989. "Availability of pharmaceuticals in sub-Saharan Africa: Roles of the public, private and church mission sectors," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 479-486, January.
- Moore, William J & Newman, Robert J, 1993. "Drug Formulary Restrictions as a Cost-Containment Policy in Medicaid Programs," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 36(1), pages 71-97, April.
- Foster, Susan, 1991. "Supply and use of essential drugs in sub-Saharan Africa: Some issues and possible solutions," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 32(11), pages 1201-1218, January.
- Gorecki, Paul K., 1986. "The importance of being first : The case of prescription drugs in Canada," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 371-395, December.
- Dranove, David, 1989. "Medicaid Drug Formulary Restrictions," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 32(1), pages 143-62, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fgv:eesptd:333. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Núcleo de Computação da EPGE)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.