Authorized Generic Entry prior to Patent Expiry: Reassessing Incentives for Independent Generic Entry
Patent holders attempt to mitigate the loss of monopoly power by authorizing generic entry prior to patent expiry (early entry). Off-patent competition may be adversely affected if early entry substantially lowers the attractiveness of subsequent generic entry. This study assesses the impact of early entry, examining generic entry decisions made in the course of recent patent expiries. Using micro data and accounting for the endogeneity of early entry, I estimate recursive bivariate probit models of entry. Early entry has no significant impact on the likelihood of generic entry. Rent-seeking rather than strategic entry-deterrence motives drive early entry decisions.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.sfbtr15.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrew M. JONES & Xander KOOLMAN & Eddy VAN DOORSLAER, 2006. "The impact of having supplementary private health insurance on the uses of specialists," Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, ENSAE, issue 83-84, pages 251-275.
- Wilde, Joachim, 2000. "Identification of multiple equation probit models with endogenous dummy regressors," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 69(3), pages 309-312, December.
- Iván Moreno Torres & Jaume Puig & Joan-Ramon Borrell-Arqué, 2007.
"Generic entry into a regulated pharmaceutical market,"
Economics Working Papers
1014, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Iván Moreno Torres & Jaume Puig & Joan-Ramon Borrell-Arqué, 2007. "Generic entry into a regulated pharmaceutical market," Working Papers, Research Center on Health and Economics 1014, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Magazzini, Laura & Pammolli, Fabio & Riccaboni, Massimo, 2004. "Dynamic Competition in Pharmaceuticals: Patent Expiry, Generic Penetration, and Industry Structure," MPRA Paper 15968, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:trf:wpaper:357. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alexandra Frank)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.