Liberalised Electricity Markets - Strengths and Weaknesses in Finland and Nordpool
This report gives an overview of the implications of electricity market liberalisation, with special reference to the Nordic market and Finland. The principal focus is on the functioning of the wholesale (generation) and retail (endusers) markets. Furthermore, the handling of risks and the interaction with various environmental policies receive special attention. Essentially the Nordic and Finnish electricity markets have been functioning reasonably well. Yet, under the pressure of the tight market in the winter of 2002, various shortcomings became more obvious. The re-attachment of the wholesale and retail market, inter alia through the (re)introduction of DSM, should be a prime concern. Other points of attention are - among others - the surveillance of the monopolistic services in the market and tendencies for vertical integration.
|Date of creation:||23 Apr 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +358 295 519 400
Fax: +358 295 519 599
Web page: http://www.vatt.fi/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John Bower & Derek W. Bunn, 2000. "Model-Based Comparisons of Pool and Bilateral Markets for Electricity," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 3), pages 1-29.
- Salerian, John & Gregan, Tendai & Stevens, Ann, 2000. "Pricing in Electricity Markets," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 22(7), pages 859-893, December.
- Ramanathan, R, 2001. "Comparative Risk Assessment of energy supply technologies: a Data Envelopment Analysis approach," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 197-203.
- Pineau, Pierre-Olivier & Hamalainen, Raimo P., 2000. "A perspective on the restructuring of the Finnish electricity market," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 181-192, March.
- Amundsen, E.S. & Nesse, A. & Tjotta, S., 1999.
"Deregulation of the Nordic Power Market and Environmental Policy,"
Norway; Department of Economics, University of Bergen
194, Department of Economics, University of Bergen.
- Amundsen, Eirik S. & Nesse, Arvid & Tjotta, Sigve, 1999. "Deregulation of the Nordic power market and environmental policy," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 417-434, October.
- Joseph Eto & Suzie Kito & Leslie Shown & Richard Sonnenblick, 2000. "Where Did the Money Go? The Cost and Performance of the Largest Commercial Sector DSM Programs," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 2), pages 23-49.
- Deepak Sharma and Robert Bartels, 1997. "Distributed Electricity Generation in Competitive Energy Markets: A Case Study in Australia," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Special I), pages 17-40.
- Mark Lijesen, 2002. "Welfare effects of vertical integration in energy distribution," CPB Memorandum 43, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Eric Hirst, 1992. "Price and Cost Impacts of Utility DSM Programs," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 4), pages 75-90.
- Giulietti, Monica & Otero, Jesus, 2002. "The timing of tariff structure changes in regulated industries: evidence from England and Wales," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 71-99, March.
- de Jong, C.M. & Huisman, R., 2002. "Option Formulas for Mean-Reverting Power Prices with Spikes," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2002-96-F&A, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Vine, Edward & Hamrin, Jan & Eyre, Nick & Crossley, David & Maloney, Michelle & Watt, Greg, 2003. "Public policy analysis of energy efficiency and load management in changing electricity businesses," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 405-430, April.
- Timothy J. Considine, 2000. "Cost Structures for Fossil Fuel-Fired Electric Power Generation," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 2), pages 83-104.
- Andrew A. Goett & Kathleen Hudson & Kenneth E. Train, 2000. "Customers' Choice Among Retail Energy Suppliers: The Willingness-to-Pay for Service Attributes," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 4), pages 1-28.
- Joskow, P.L. & Marron, D.B., 1991. "What does a Negawatt Really Cost?," Working papers 596, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Sulamaa, Pekka, . "Essays in Deregulated Finnish and Nordic Electricity Markets," ETLA A, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy, number 34.
- Thomas E. Hoff, 1997. "Using Distributed Resources to Manage Risks Caused by Demand Uncertainty," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Special I), pages 63-84.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fer:resrep:97. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anita Niskanen)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.