Bioenergy and CO2 Sequestration: Climate Policies Beyond Technological Constraints
This paper examines the role of electricity production from biomass with and without carbon capture and storage in sustaining low CO2 emission pathways to 2100. It quantifies the effect of the availability of biomass resources and technologies within a general equilibrium framework. Biomass-fed integrated gasification combined cycle technology is introduced into the electricity module of IMACLIM-R, a hybrid general equilibrium model. We assess the robustness of this technology, with and without carbon capture and storage, as a way of reaching the 550 ppm stabilization target. The impact of a uniform CO2 tax on energy prices and world GDP is examined, together with the structure of the electricity mix. The influence of additional climate mitigation policies, such as alternative recycling of tax revenues and infrastructure policies is also discussed.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Corso Magenta, 63 - 20123 Milan|
Web page: http://www.feem.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Céline Guivarch, 2009.
"The Resilience of the Indian Economy to Rising Oil Prices as a Validation Test for a Global Energy-Environment-Economy CGE Model,"
- Guivarch, Céline & Hallegatte, Stéphane & Crassous, Renaud, 2009. "The resilience of the Indian economy to rising oil prices as a validation test for a global energy-environment-economy CGE model," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(11), pages 4259-4266, November.
- Céline Guivarch & Stéphane Hallegatte & Renaud Crassous, 2009. "The Resilience of the Indian Economy to Rising Oil Prices as a Validation Test for a Global Energy-Environment-Economy CGE Model," Post-Print hal-00566971, HAL.
- Céline Guivarch & Stéphane Hallegatte & Renaud Crassous, 2008. "The Resilience of the Indian Economy to Rising Oil Prices as a Validation Test for a Global Energy-Environment-Economy CGE Model," CIRED Working Papers hal-00866431, HAL.
- Olsina, Fernando & Garces, Francisco & Haubrich, H.-J., 2006. "Modeling long-term dynamics of electricity markets," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(12), pages 1411-1433, August.
- Frederic Ghersi and Jean-Charles Hourcade, 2006. "Macroeconomic Consistency issues in E3 Modeling: The Continued Fable of the Elephant and the Rabbit," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Special I), pages 39-62.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fem:femwpa:2012.88. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (barbara racah)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.