The Determinants of Suppliers’ Performance in E-Procurement: Evidence from the Italian Government’s E-Procurement Platform
Participation of small businesses in the market for public contracts is widely recognized as a key policy issue. It is also commonly held that the adoption of e-procurement solutions can be effective in pursuing such an objective. To this end, we analyze the transactions completed in the period 2004-2007 through the Italian Government’s e-procurement platform, that is, the marketplace managed by the Italian Public Procurement Agency (Consip S.p.A.). Although descriptive statistics indicate that micro suppliers are the most represented group of firms in the marketplace, our econometric treatment provides some evidence that the former are less successful than all other suppliers in getting public contracts. Degree of loyalty with buyers, location and the use of other MEPA negotiation tools, also emerge as relevant factors of success in the e-procurement market.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Corso Magenta, 63 - 20123 Milan|
Web page: http://www.feem.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Freund, D.A. & Kniesner, T.J. & LoSasso, A.T., 1996. "How Managed Care Affects Medicaid Utilization : A Synthetic Difference-in-Difference Zero-Inflated Count Model," Discussion Paper 1996-40, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Bruno Jullien, 2005.
"Two-sided Markets and Electronic Intermediaries,"
CESifo Economic Studies,
CESifo, vol. 51(2-3), pages 233-260.
- Patrick Bajari & Ali Hortaçsu, 2004. "Economic Insights from Internet Auctions," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 42(2), pages 457-486, June.
- Cameron, A Colin & Windmeijer, Frank A G, 1996.
"R-Squared Measures for Count Data Regression Models with Applications to Health-Care Utilization,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 14(2), pages 209-20, April.
- Cameron, A.C. & Windmeijer, F.A.G., 1993. "R-Squared Measures for Count Data Regression Models with Applications to Health Care Utilization," Papers 93-24, California Davis - Institute of Governmental Affairs.
- Alexandre Gaudeul & Bruno Jullien, 2004.
"E-commerce : Quelques éléments d'économie industrielle,"
- Alexandre Gaudeul & Bruno Jullien, 2001. "E-commerce. Quelques éléments d'économie industrielle," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 52(7), pages 97-117.
- Bruno Jullien & Alexandre Gaudeul, 2001. "E-commerce. Quelques éléments d'économie industrielle," Revue Économique, Programme National Persée, vol. 52(1), pages 97-117.
- Rochet, Jean-Charles & Tirole, Jean, 2003.
"Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets,"
IDEI Working Papers
152, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Tirole, 2003. "Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 1(4), pages 990-1029, 06.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Tirole, 2014. "Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets," CPI Journal, Competition Policy International, vol. 10.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Triole, 2002. "Platform Competition in Two Sided Markets," FMG Discussion Papers dp409, Financial Markets Group.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Triole, 2002. "Platform competition in two sided markets," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24929, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- A. C. Cameron & P. K. Trivedi & Frank Milne & J. Piggott, 1988. "A Microeconometric Model of the Demand for Health Care and Health Insurance in Australia," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 55(1), pages 85-106.
- Freund, Deborah A. & Kniesner, Thomas J. & LoSasso, Anthony T., 1999. "Dealing with the common econometric problems of count data with excess zeros, endogenous treatment effects, and attrition bias," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 7-12, January.
- Blundell, Richard & Griffith, Rachel & Van Reenen, John, 1995.
"Dynamic Count Data Models of Technological Innovation,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 105(429), pages 333-44, March.
- Richard Blundell & Rachel Griffith & John Van Reenen, 1994. "Dynamic count data models of technological innovation," IFS Working Papers W94/10, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Caillaud, Bernard & Jullien, Bruno, 2003. " Chicken & Egg: Competition among Intermediation Service Providers," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 34(2), pages 309-28, Summer.
- Mark Armstrong, 2005.
"Competition in Two-Sided Markets,"
- Caillaud, Bernard & Jullien, Bruno, 2001. "Competing cybermediaries," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(4-6), pages 797-808, May.
- Davutyan, Nurhan, 1989. "Bank failures as Poisson variates," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 333-338.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fem:femwpa:2008.49. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (barbara racah)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.