Horizontal versus Vertical Electronic Business-to-Business Marketplaces
This paper analyzes the behavior of horizontal B2B marketplaces along the supply chain in case a vertical intermediary tries to enter by attracting industry-specific buy-side and sell-side firms. It will be shown that an entrant can only integrate all firms along the vertical production chain in case the industry is strong buy-side dominated. For the remaining scenarios we will determine different levels of integration for buy-side and sell-side dominated branches, in which firms from upper stages will stay at the incumbent. Moreover, we will show that horizontal marketplaces for MRO and other simple goods will be driven out of the market in any case.
|Date of creation:||06 Jul 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (0711) 121-3542
Fax: (0711) 121-3555
Web page: http://www.ivr.uni-stuttgart.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- GABSZEWICZ, Jean & WAUTHY, Xavier, 2004. "Two-sided markets and price competition with multi-homing," CORE Discussion Papers 2004030, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Caillaud, Bernard & Jullien, Bruno, 2001. "Competing cybermediaries," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(4-6), pages 797-808, May.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Tirole, 2003.
"Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 1(4), pages 990-1029, 06.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Triole, 2002. "Platform competition in two sided markets," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24929, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Rochet, Jean-Charles & Tirole, Jean, 2003. "Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets," IDEI Working Papers 152, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Triole, 2002. "Platform Competition in Two Sided Markets," FMG Discussion Papers dp409, Financial Markets Group.
- Kai Sülzle, 2005.
"Duopolistic Competition between Independent and Collaborative Business-to-Business Marketplaces,"
Ifo Working Paper Series
Ifo Working Paper No. 5, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich.
- Sülzle, Kai, 2009. "Duopolistic competition between independent and collaborative business-to-business marketplaces," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 615-624, September.
- Kai Suelzle, 2004. "Duopolistic Competition between Independent and Collaborative Business-to-Business Marketplaces," Econometric Society 2004 Australasian Meetings 191, Econometric Society.
- Roson Roberto, 2005. "Two-Sided Markets: A Tentative Survey," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 4(2), pages 1-19, June.
- Chrysovalantou Milliou & Emmanuel Petrakis, 2004. "Business-to-business electronic marketplaces: Joining a public or creating a private," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(2), pages 99-112.
- Caillaud, Bernard & Jullien, Bruno, 2003. " Chicken & Egg: Competition among Intermediation Service Providers," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 34(2), pages 309-28, Summer.
- BELLEFLAMME, Paul & TOULEMONDE, Eric, 2004. "B2B marketplaces : Emergence and entry," CORE Discussion Papers 2004078, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:stt:dpaper:20061. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Institute of Economics and Law, University of Stuttgart)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Institute of Economics and Law, University of Stuttgart to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.