The rise and fall of RD networks
Drawing on a large database of publicly announced RD alliances.we track the evolution of RD networks in a large number of economic sectors over a long time period 1986 2009.Our main goal is to evaluate temporal and sectoral robustness of the main statistical properties of empirical RD networks. By studying a large set of indicators, we provide a more complete description of these networks with respect to the existing literature. We find that most network properties are invariant across sectors. In addition, they do not change when alliances are considered independently of the sectors to which partners belong. Moreover, we find that many properties of RD networks are characterized by a rise-andfall dynamics with a peak in the mid-nineties. Finally, we show that such properties of empirical RD networks support predictions of the recent theoretical literature on RD network formation.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 69, quai d'Orsay - 75007 PARIS|
Phone: 01 44 18 54 00
Fax: 01 45 56 06 15
Web page: http://www.ofce.sciences-po.fr/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gert Sabidussi, 1966. "The centrality index of a graph," Psychometrika, Springer;The Psychometric Society, vol. 31(4), pages 581-603, December.
- Cantner, Uwe & Graf, Holger, 2006.
"The network of innovators in Jena: An application of social network analysis,"
Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 463-480, May.
- Uwe Cantner & Holger Graf, 2004. "The Network of Innovators in Jena: An Application of Social Network Analysis," Jenaer Schriften zur Wirtschaftswissenschaft 04/2004, Friedrich-Schiller-Universität Jena, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Reed, William J., 2001. "The Pareto, Zipf and other power laws," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 15-19, December.
- Hall, B. & Jaffe, A. & Trajtenberg, M., 2001. "The NBER Patent Citations Data File: Lessons, Insights and Methodological Tools," Papers 2001-29, Tel Aviv.
- Bronwyn H. Hall & Adam B. Jaffe & Manuel Trajtenberg, 2001. "The NBER Patent Citation Data File: Lessons, Insights and Methodological Tools," NBER Working Papers 8498, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hall, Bronwyn H & Jaffe, Adam B & Trajtenberg, Manuel, 2001. "The NBER Patent Citations Data File: Lessons, Insights and Methodological Tools," CEPR Discussion Papers 3094, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- König, Michael D. & Battiston, Stefano & Napoletano, Mauro & Schweitzer, Frank, 2012. "The efficiency and stability of R&D networks," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 694-713.
- Cowan, Robin & Jonard, Nicolas, 2004. "Network structure and the diffusion of knowledge," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 28(8), pages 1557-1575, June.
- Cowan Robin & Jonard Nicolas, 1999. "Network Structure and the Diffusion of Knowledge," Research Memorandum 026, Maastricht University, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Goyal, Sanjeev & Joshi, Sumit, 2003. "Networks of collaboration in oligopoly," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 57-85, April.
- Sanjeev Goyal & Sumit Joshi, 2000. "Networks of Collaboration in Oligopoly," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 00-092/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- Sumit Joshi, 2000. "Networks of Collaboration in Oligopoly," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0623, Econometric Society.
- Goyal, S. & Joshi, S., 2000. "Networks of Collaboration in Oligopoly," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 9952-/A, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Francesco Lissoni & Patrick Llerena & Bulat Sanditov, 2013. "Small Worlds in Networks of Inventors and the Role of Academics: An Analysis of France," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(3), pages 195-220, April.
- Francesco Lissoni & Patrick Llerena & Bulat Sanditov, 2013. "Small worlds in networks of inventors and the role of academics : an analysis of France," Grenoble Ecole de Management (Post-Print) hal-01273279, HAL.
- Francesco Lissoni & Patrick Llerena & Bulat Sanditov, 2013. "Small Worlds in Networks of Inventors and the Role of Academics: An Analysis of France," Post-Print hal-01135259, HAL.
- Hagedoorn, John, 2002. "Inter-firm R&D partnerships: an overview of major trends and patterns since 1960," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 477-492, May.
- Giulio Bottazzi & Angelo Secchi, 2003. "Common Properties and Sectoral Specificities in the Dynamics of U.S. Manufacturing Companies," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 23(3_4), pages 217-232, December.
- Giulio Bottazzi & Angelo Secchi, 2003. "Common Properties and Sectoral Specificities in the Dynamics of U.S. Manufacturing Companies," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 23(3), pages 217-232, December.
- Bastian Westbrock, 2010. "Natural concentration in industrial research collaboration," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 41(2), pages 351-371.
- König, Michael D. & Battiston, S. & Napoletano, M. & Schweitzer, F., 2011. "Recombinant knowledge and the evolution of innovation networks," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 79(3), pages 145-164, August.
- Arora, Ashish & Gambardella, Alfonso, 1994. "The changing technology of technological change: general and abstract knowledge and the division of innovative labour," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 23(5), pages 523-532, September.
- Hanaki, Nobuyuki & Nakajima, Ryo & Ogura, Yoshiaki, 2010. "The dynamics of R&D network in the IT industry," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 386-399, April.
- Nobuyuki Hanaki & Ryo Nakajima & Yoshiaki Ogura, 2009. "The Dynamics of R&D Network in the IT Industry," Tsukuba Economics Working Papers 2009-014, Economics, Graduate School of Humanities and Social Sciences, University of Tsukuba.
- Riccaboni, Massimo & Pammolli, Fabio, 2002. "On firm growth in networks," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(8-9), pages 1405-1416, December.
- Riccaboni, Massimo & Pammolli, Fabio, 2001. "On Firm Growth in Networks," MPRA Paper 15964, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 12 Nov 2001.
- Michael D. König & Claudio J. Tessone & Yves Zenou, 2010. "From Assortative To Dissortative Networks: The Role Of Capacity Constraints," Advances in Complex Systems (ACS), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 13(04), pages 483-499.
- Michael D. K\"onig & Claudio J. Tessone & Yves Zenou, "undated". "From Assortative to Dissortative Networks: The Role of Capacity Constraints," Working Papers CCSS-10-012, ETH Zurich, Chair of Systems Design.
- König, Michael & Tessone, Claudio J. & Zenou, Yves, 2010. "From Assortative to Dissortative Networks: The Role of Capacity Constraints," CEPR Discussion Papers 8052, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Youngki Lee & Luis A. N. Amaral & David Canning & Martin Meyer & H. Eugene Stanley, 1998. "Universal features in the growth dynamics of complex organizations," Papers cond-mat/9804100, arXiv.org.
- Ranjay Gulati & Maxim Sytch & Adam Tatarynowicz, 2012. "The Rise and Fall of Small Worlds: Exploring the Dynamics of Social Structure," Organization Science, INFORMS, vol. 23(2), pages 449-471, April.
- Arora, Ashish & Gambardella, Alfonso, 1994. "Evaluating technological information and utilizing it : Scientific knowledge, technological capability, and external linkages in biotechnology," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 91-114, June.
- Matthew O. Jackson & Brian W. Rogers, 2007. "Meeting Strangers and Friends of Friends: How Random Are Social Networks?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 97(3), pages 890-915, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fce:doctra:1315. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Francesco Saraceno)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.