Liquidity runs with endogenous information acquisition
This paper discusses a liquidity run model where investors optimally decide whether or not to acquire private information. This endogenizes the dichotomy "private information/no private information". The price of the information makes the equilibrium partitioning of the fundamentals two dimensional. For intermediate fundamentals multiplicity can be eliminated by the private information that investors can have. The dichotomy represents the information structures for low and high prices respectively. However, it presents a distorted view for intermediate prices and fundamentals for which unique equilibria without private information can occur. These results are preserved if the quality of the information is endogenized.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Badia Fiesolana, Via dei Roccettini, 9, 50014 San Domenico di Fiesole (FI) Italy|
Web page: http://www.eui.eu/ECO/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frank Heinemann & Rosemarie Nagel & Peter Ockenfels, 2004. "The Theory of Global Games on Test: Experimental Analysis of Coordination Games with Public and Private Information," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 72(5), pages 1583-1599, 09.
- Carlsson, Hans & van Damme, Eric, 1993.
"Global Games and Equilibrium Selection,"
Econometric Society, vol. 61(5), pages 989-1018, September.
- Carlsson, H. & Van Damme, E., 1990. "Global Games And Equilibrium Selection," Papers 9052, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Carlsson, H. & van Damme, E.E.C., 1990. "Global games and equilibrium selection," Discussion Paper 1990-52, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Hans Carlsson & Eric van Damme, 1993. "Global Games and Equilibrium Selection," Levine's Working Paper Archive 122247000000001088, David K. Levine.
- Carlsson, H. & van Damme, E.E.C., 1993. "Global games and equilibrium selection," Other publications TiSEM 49a54f00-dcec-4fc1-9488-4, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Itay Goldstein & Ady Pauzner, 2005. "Demand-Deposit Contracts and the Probability of Bank Runs," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(3), pages 1293-1327, 06.
- Christian Hellwig & Arijit Mukherji & Aleh Tsyvinski, 2005.
"Self-Fulfilling Currency Crises: The Role of Interest Rates,"
NBER Working Papers
11191, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aleh Tsyvinski & Arijit Mukherji & Christian Hellwig, 2006. "Self-Fulfilling Currency Crises: The Role of Interest Rates," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 96(5), pages 1769-1787, December.
- Mark A. Carlson & Galina B. Hale, 2005.
"Courage to Capital? A Model of the Effects of Rating Agencies on Sovereign Debt Role-over,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1506, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Christian Hellwig & Laura Veldkamp, 2006.
"Knowing what others Know: Coordination motives in information acquisition,"
2006 Meeting Papers
361, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Christian Hellwig & Laura Veldkamp, 2009. "Knowing What Others Know: Coordination Motives in Information Acquisition," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 76(1), pages 223-251.
- Laura Veldkamp & Christian Hellwig, 2006. "Knowing What Others Know: Coordination Motives in Information Acquisition," Working Papers 06-14, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Hellwig, Christian & Veldkamp, Laura, 2007. "Knowing What Others Know: Coordination Motives in Information Acquisition," CEPR Discussion Papers 6506, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sbracia, M. & Zaghini, A., 2000.
"Expectations and Information in Second Generation Currency Crises Models,"
391, Banca Italia - Servizio di Studi.
- Sbracia, Massimo & Zaghini, Andrea, 2001. "Expectations and information in second generation currency crises models," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 203-222, April.
- Massimo Sbracia & Andrea Zaghini, 2000. "Expectations and information in second generation currency crises models," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 391, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Massimo Sbracia & Andrea Zaghini, 2000. "Expectations and Information in Second Generation Currency Crises Models," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0462, Econometric Society.
- Diamond, Douglas W & Dybvig, Philip H, 1983.
"Bank Runs, Deposit Insurance, and Liquidity,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(3), pages 401-19, June.
- M. Sbracia & Alessandro Prati, 2002.
"Currency Crises and Uncertainty About Fundamentals,"
IMF Working Papers
02/3, International Monetary Fund.
- Alessandro Prati & Massimo Sbracia, 2002. "Currency crises and uncertainty about fundamentals," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 446, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Nikitin, Maxim & Smith, R. Todd, 2008. "Information acquisition, coordination, and fundamentals in a financial crisis," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 907-914, June.
- Gary Gorton & Andrew Winton, 2002.
Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers
02-28, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Nikola A. Tarashev, 2003. "Currency Crises and the Informational Role of Interest Rates," BIS Working Papers 135, Bank for International Settlements.
- Antonio E. Bernardo & Ivo Welch, 2004.
"Liquidity and Financial Market Runs,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 119(1), pages 135-158.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eui:euiwps:eco2005/18. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anne Banks)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.