Carry Trades and Financial Crisis: An Analytical Perspective
This paper develops an analytical framework to explain how a liquidity shock or a shock to the aggregate haircut on collateralized assets amplifies financial crisis in a carry trade recipient country. The model allows roles for shocks to the size of a haircut, strategic behaviour across currency carry traders and the feed-back effect between asset prices and exchange rates. The paper finds that there is a threshold level of the aggregate haircut at the equilibrium. After introducing small exogenous noise, the model shows that a liquidity shock leads asset prices and the exchange rate to depart from the steady state level, triggering a financial crisis. Further, a negative shock to the interest rate differential also has the potential to trigger a liquidity crisis in the domestic market and amplify a financial crisis in the carry trade recipient country. A possible policy implication suggests that keeping policy rates low entails risks for financial systems. Therefore, instead of low inter- est rates and foreign exchange intervention policies, monetary authorities should focus on introducing macro-prudential regulations and establishing a sustainable and effective financial architecture to prevent future financial crisis.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +61 2 6125 4705
Fax: +61 2 6125 5448
Web page: http://cama.crawford.anu.edu.au
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hyun Song Shin & Stephen Morris, 2004.
"Liquidity Black Holes,"
Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings
644, Econometric Society.
- Hyun Song Shin & Stephen Morris, 2004. "Liquidity Black Holes," Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings 620, Econometric Society.
- Stephen Morris & Hyun Song Shin, 2003. "Liquidity Black Holes," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1434, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Stephen Morris & Hyun Song Shin, 2004. "Liquidity Black Holes," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm425, Yale School of Management.
- Itay Goldstein, 2005. "Strategic Complementarities and the Twin Crises," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 115(503), pages 368-390, 04.
- Aleh Tsyvinski & Arijit Mukherji & Christian Hellwig, 2006.
"Self-Fulfilling Currency Crises: The Role of Interest Rates,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 96(5), pages 1769-1787, December.
- Christian Hellwig & Arijit Mukherji & Aleh Tsyvinski, 2005. "Self-Fulfilling Currency Crises: The Role of Interest Rates," NBER Working Papers 11191, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hans Carlsson & Eric van Damme, 1993.
"Global Games and Equilibrium Selection,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
122247000000001088, David K. Levine.
- Carlsson, H. & van Damme, E.E.C., 1990. "Global games and equilibrium selection," Discussion Paper 1990-52, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Carlsson, H. & van Damme, E.E.C., 1993. "Global games and equilibrium selection," Other publications TiSEM 49a54f00-dcec-4fc1-9488-4, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Carlsson, H. & Van Damme, E., 1990. "Global Games And Equilibrium Selection," Papers 9052, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Lasse Heje Pederson & Markus K Brunnermeier, 2007.
"Market Liquidity and Funding Liquidity,"
FMG Discussion Papers
dp580, Financial Markets Group.
- Markus K. Brunnermeier & Lasse Heje Pedersen, 2007. "Market Liquidity and Funding Liquidity," NBER Working Papers 12939, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Markus K. Brunnermeier & Lasse Heje Pedersen, 2007. "Market liquidity and funding liquidity," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24478, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Brunnermeier, Markus K & Pedersen, Lasse Heje, 2007. "Market Liquidity and Funding Liquidity," CEPR Discussion Papers 6179, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Masazumi Hattori & Hyun Song Shin, 2009. "Yen Carry Trade and the Subprime Crisis," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 56(2), pages 384-409, June.
- Gai, Prasanna & Haldane, Andrew & Kapadia, Sujit, 2011. "Complexity, concentration and contagion," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(5), pages 453-470.
- Itay Goldstein & Ady Pauzner, 2005. "Demand-Deposit Contracts and the Probability of Bank Runs," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(3), pages 1293-1327, 06.
- Iván Werning & George-Marios Angeletos, 2006.
"Crises and Prices: Information Aggregation, Multiplicity, and Volatility,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 96(5), pages 1720-1736, December.
- Ivan Werning & George-Marios Angeletos, 2005. "Crises and Prices: Information Aggregation, Multiplicity and Volatility," 2005 Meeting Papers 284, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- George-Marios Angeletos & Ivan Werning, 2004. "Crises and Prices: Information Aggregation, Multiplicity and Volatility," NBER Working Papers 11015, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nobuhiro Kiyotaki & John Moore, 1995.
NBER Working Papers
5083, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frankel, David M. & Burdzy, Krzysztof & Pauzner, Ady, 2001.
"Fast Equilibrium Selection by Rational Players Living in a Changing World,"
Staff General Research Papers
11923, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Burdzy, Krzysztof & Frankel, David M & Pauzner, Ady, 2001. "Fast Equilibrium Selection by Rational Players Living in a Changing World," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 69(1), pages 163-89, January.
- Sushil Bikhchandani & Sunil Sharma, 2001. "Herd Behavior in Financial Markets," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 47(3), pages 1.
- Prasanna Gai & Kamakshya Trivedi, 2009. "Funding Externalities, Asset Prices And Investors' 'Search For Yield'," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(1), pages 73-82, 01.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:een:camaaa:2011-33. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Cama Admin)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.