Exchange Rate Exposure and Exchange Rate Risk Management: The case of Japanese exporting firms
In this paper, we estimate Japanese firms' exchange rate exposure and investigate the impact of exchange rate risk management on them. By using the results of the questionnaire survey sent to all Tokyo Stock Exchange listed firms in 2009, we conduct empirical analysis to investigate whether each risk management tool—financial and operational hedging, the choice of invoice currency, and the price revision strategy (pass-through)—specifically affects their foreign exchange exposure. As a result, we confirm the following characteristics: first, firms with larger dependency on foreign markets have larger foreign exchange exposure. Second, the higher is the U.S. dollar invoicing share, the larger is the foreign exchange exposure, but it is reduced by using both financial and operational hedging. Third, yen invoicing itself reduces the foreign exchange exposure. These findings indicate that Japanese firms utilize operational and financial hedging strategies and price revision policy depending on their choice of invoicing currency.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 11th floor, Annex, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) 1-3-1, Kasumigaseki Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, 100-8901|
Web page: http://www.rieti.go.jp/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Linda S. Goldberg & Cédric Tille, 2009.
"Micro, Macro, and Strategic Forces in International Trade Invoicing,"
NBER Working Papers
15470, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Linda S. Goldberg & Cédric Tille, 2009. "Micro, macro, and strategic forces in international trade invoicing," Staff Reports 405, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Goldberg, Linda S. & Tille, Cédric, 2009. "Micro, Macro, and Strategic Forces in International Trade Invoicing," CEPR Discussion Papers 7534, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Linda S. Goldberg & Cedric Tille, 2010. "Micro, Macro, and Strategic Forces in International Trade Invoicing," Working Papers 082010, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Goldberg, Linda S. & Tille, Cédric, 2008. "Vehicle currency use in international trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 76(2), pages 177-192, December.
- Linda S. Goldberg & Cedric Tille, 2005. "Vehicle currency use in international trade," Staff Reports 200, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Linda S. Goldberg & Cedric Tille, 2005. "Vehicle Currency Use in International Trade," NBER Working Papers 11127, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christos Pantzalis & Betty J Simkins & Paul A Laux, 2001. "Operational Hedges and the Foreign Exchange Exposure of U.S. Multinational Corporations," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 32(4), pages 793-812, December.
- Takatoshi Ito & Satoshi Koibuchi & Kiyotaka Sato & Junko Shimizu, 2010. "Why has the yen failed to become a dominant invoicing currency in Asia? A firm-level analysis of Japanese Exporters' invoicing behavior," NBER Working Papers 16231, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hommel, Ulrich, 2003. "Financial versus operative hedging of currency risk," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 1-18, May.
- Friberg, Richard & Wilander, Fredrik, 2008. "The currency denomination of exports -- A questionnaire study," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 75(1), pages 54-69, May.
- Dominguez, Kathryn M., 1998. "The Dollar Exposure of Japanese Companies," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 388-405, December.
- Dominguez, K., 1997. "The Dollar Exposure of Japanese Companies," Working Papers 414, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Dominguez, Kathryn M.E. & Tesar, Linda L., 2006. "Exchange rate exposure," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 188-218, January.
- Kathryn M.E. Dominguez & Linda L. Tesar, 2001. "Exchange Rate Exposure," NBER Working Papers 8453, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gordon M. Bodnar & M.H. Franco Wong, 2003. "Estimating Exchange Rate Exposures: Issues in Model Structure," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 32(1), Spring. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eti:dpaper:13025. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (NUKATANI Sorahiko)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.