Exchange Rate Risk Management of Export Firms: New findings from a questionnaire survey
In this paper, we present new findings of Japanese firms' exchange rate risk managements based on a questionnaire survey sent to all Tokyo Stock Exchange listed firms in 2009. Using their responses, we conduct empirical analysis to investigate the relation between respective risk management tools including the choice of invoice currency and the price revision strategy (pass-through). Results show the following: first, firms with higher sales and greater dependency on foreign markets more actively engage in currency hedging including financial and operational hedging. Second, Japanese firms use both financial and operational hedging complementarily. Third, U.S. dollar invoicing is supported by both financial and operational hedging. Fourth, yen-invoicing substitutes for both financial and operational hedging. Fifth, pass-through also substitutes for financial hedging. These findings indicate that Japanese firms use operational hedging, financial hedging strategies, and pass-through policies depending on their choice of invoicing currency.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 11th floor, Annex, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) 1-3-1, Kasumigaseki Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, 100-8901|
Web page: http://www.rieti.go.jp/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Goldberg, Linda S. & Tille, Cédric, 2008.
"Vehicle currency use in international trade,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 76(2), pages 177-192, December.
- Linda S. Goldberg & Cedric Tille, 2005. "Vehicle currency use in international trade," Staff Reports 200, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Linda S. Goldberg & Cedric Tille, 2005. "Vehicle Currency Use in International Trade," NBER Working Papers 11127, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Linda S. Goldberg & Cédric Tille, 2009. "Micro, macro, and strategic forces in international trade invoicing," Staff Reports 405, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Goldberg, Linda S. & Tille, Cédric, 2009. "Micro, Macro, and Strategic Forces in International Trade Invoicing," CEPR Discussion Papers 7534, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Linda S. Goldberg & Cedric Tille, 2010. "Micro, Macro, and Strategic Forces in International Trade Invoicing," Working Papers 082010, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Linda S. Goldberg & Cédric Tille, 2009. "Micro, Macro, and Strategic Forces in International Trade Invoicing," NBER Working Papers 15470, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christos Pantzalis & Betty J Simkins & Paul A Laux, 2001. "Operational Hedges and the Foreign Exchange Exposure of U.S. Multinational Corporations," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 32(4), pages 793-812, December.
- Friberg, Richard & Wilander, Fredrik, 2008. "The currency denomination of exports -- A questionnaire study," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 75(1), pages 54-69, May.
- Bartram, Söhnke M. & Brown, Gregory W. & Minton, Bernadette A., 2010. "Resolving the exposure puzzle: The many facets of exchange rate exposure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(2), pages 148-173, February.
- Bartram, Söhnke M. & Brown, Gregory W. & Minton, Bernadette, 2009. "Resolving the Exposure Puzzle: The Many Facets of Exchange Rate Exposure," MPRA Paper 14041, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hommel, Ulrich, 2003. "Financial versus operative hedging of currency risk," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 1-18, May.
- Froot, Kenneth A & Scharfstein, David S & Stein, Jeremy C, 1993. " Risk Management: Coordinating Corporate Investment and Financing Policies," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1629-1658, December.
- Kenneth A. Froot & David S. Scharfstein & Jeremy C. Stein, 1992. "Risk Management: Coordinating Corporate Investment and Financing Policies," NBER Working Papers 4084, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eti:dpaper:13024. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (NUKATANI Sorahiko)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.