Economic Aspects of Access to Medicines after 2005: Product Patent Protection and Emerging Firm Strategies in the Indian Pharmaceutical Industry
An analysis of the innovation in the Indian pharmaceutical industry is done. This section traces the origins, the strengths and weaknesses of the innovation system in the pharmaceutical sector in India, and its industrial structure and activities, in order to establish the importance of the Indian industry for access to medicines in the developing world today. This section also arrives upon a categorization of firms in the Indian industry, based on empirical data, which is used in the rest of the study to draw conclusions on various issues. A discussio of the main changes that are forcing a transition in the industry today, of which the introduction of product patent protection is the main one.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David S. Evans & Richard Schmalensee, 2002.
"Some Economic Aspects of Antitrust Analysis in Dynamically Competitive Industries,"
in: Innovation Policy and the Economy, Volume 2, pages 1-50
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David S. Evans & Richard Schmalensee, 2001. "Some Economic Aspects of Antitrust Analysis in Dynamically Competitive Industries," NBER Working Papers 8268, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jean O. Lanjouw, 2005.
"Patents, Price Controls, and Access to New Drugs: How Policy Affects Global Market Entry,"
NBER Working Papers
11321, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jean O. Lanjouw, 2005. "Patents, Price Controls and Access to New Drugs: How Policy Affects Global Market Entry," Working Papers 61, Center for Global Development.
- Michael Kremer, 2002. "Pharmaceuticals and the Developing World," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 16(4), pages 67-90, Fall.
- Ganslandt, Mattias & Maskus, Keith E. & Wong, Eina V., 2001.
"Developing and Distributing Essential Medicines to Poor Countries: The DEFEND Proposal,"
Working Paper Series
552, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Mattias Ganslandt & Keith E. Maskus & Eina V. Wong, 2001. "Developing and Distributing Essential Medicines to Poor Countries: The DEFEND Proposal," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(6), pages 779-795, 06.
- Beatrice Dumont & Peter Holmes, 2002. "The Scope Of Intellectual Property Rights and their Interface with Competition Law and Policy: Divergent Paths to the Same Goal?," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(2), pages 149-162.
- Oliver, Amalya L., 2004. "Biotechnology entrepreneurial scientists and their collaborations," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 583-597, May.
- Béatrice Dumont & P. Holmes, 2002. "The breadth of intellectual property right and their interface with competition law and policy : divergent paths to the same goal," Post-Print halshs-00069688, HAL.
- Lam, Alice, 2004. "Organizational Innovation," MPRA Paper 11539, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lanjouw, Jean O. & Cockburn, Iain M., 2001. "New Pills for Poor People? Empirical Evidence after GATT," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 265-289, February.
- Fink, Carsten, 2000. "How stronger patent protection in India might affect the behavior of transnational pharaceutical industries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2352, The World Bank.
- Primo Braga, Carlos A & Fink, Carsten, 1998. "Reforming Intellectual Property Rights Regimes: Challenges for Developing Countries," Journal of International Economic Law, Oxford University Press, vol. 1(4), pages 537-54, December.
- Bale, Harvey, Jr, 1998. "The Conflicts between Parallel Trade and Product Access and Innovation: The Case of Pharmaceuticals," Journal of International Economic Law, Oxford University Press, vol. 1(4), pages 637-53, December.
- Ramani, Shyama V., 2002. "Who is interested in biotech? R&D strategies, knowledge base and market sales of Indian biopharmaceutical firms," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 381-398, March.
- Carsten Fink, 2001. "Patent Protection, Transnational Corporations, and Market Structure: A Simulation Study of the Indian Pharmaceutical Industry," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 101-121, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ess:wpaper:id:3336. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.